Cabinet project

My brother wants one to attach to the end of the kitchen cabinets. ... I need to make a sharp looking rack because my brother is a design engineer and a compulsive perfectionist.

What about making one like one of the following:
(in wood of course)

wall%20mounted%20wine%20rack.jpg

wall_mounted_wine_rack.jpg

Gus%20Design%20Wine%20Rack.jpg

winerack2big.jpg

Attachments

• wine rack.jpg
    wine rack.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 13
I need to make a sharp looking rack because my brother is a design engineer and a compulsive perfectionist.

I'm glad I'm not working for your brother:D The hardest people I've ever had to deal with as an automotive service writer was engineers. :( but they would have pulling hair by the time I got them to understand than "no it isn't built like what you used to design" and "no we can't rework it to your specs":bang::bang:

Frank, those are some fine looking racks you posted. I can see where they could fit into my kitchen real easy. Where did you find those? Google search?

Yes, Royall, Google Image Search; clicked when I saw something I thought Paul might like and that would work on an end of a kitchen cabinet.

While I like them all, the first would be top drawer in a steam-formed, laminated 'bar' made of different exotic woods! Now that would be beautiful!

Last edited:
Hey, now those are a new angle for a wine rack. The space I have to work with is actually a corner. In other words the wall extends about a foot beyond the end of the cabinets. But you know, I can see a wooden snake wine rack as a subtle reference to the forbidden fruit thing from the bible. :D Maybe incorporate a cork puller disguised as the snakes tongue?

As far as the frustrations of dealing with engineers. I was one for a time for General Motors. Simultaneous process engineering. I just retired after 30 years in that joint. I was often faulted as being too blunt with fellow engineers. I just couldn't stand for petty stupidity. In my opinion there was a lot of incompetence in the engineering ranks. My boss once accused me of burning a bridge with one such weasel and my reply was "heck, I blew that bridge up" I was trained in the old school where the customer comes first, especially when it comes to safety. The current problems with GM is more related to a vacuum in the way of leadership. I hope GM survives for the sake of all the workers who depend on it for their livelihood, but I don't see much hope. In my experience it was a very narcissistic company. It amazes me that the workers have been blamed for everything for the last 20-25 years and the company kept getting smaller. The"good ole boys" running the place just can't imagine looking in the mirror for the problem. For instance, we told them 15 years ago to develop a small car diesel engine, but they didn't see how that could be profitable. Sorry for the rant.

It's been a few weeks since the last update and just now go some time to post some photos.:D I got the cabinets all set in place, plumbed, and level. The old kitchen counter with the sink is still in use while the granite people do their thing. I had to rent a U-Haul truck to take the boxes to the house as my Mazda and 80 mile round trip just wasn't going to cut it.:dunno: The weather had been bad with a little more rain than normal so the drive way (if you can call it one) was almost too slick with mud to get up. In fact we had to carry them the last 100 yards to the house up hill.:eek: Just too much for this old man.:rofl::rofl: I've got all the drawers installed now and here at the shop I got the last of the doors and drawer fronts dry fitted together today. Tomorrow I'll glue them up and start sanding. Hopefully I'll be able to start painting them Tuesday or Wednesday.

This is a shot of the drawers all cut out. Some how I have miss-placed some photos. I did have some of the assembled draws. Of course you see one drawer and you've seen them all:D
IMG_8325 (Small).jpg

The next few is just of the kitchen area. Wish I knew what happened to the photo with the drawers????
IMG_8347 (Small).jpg

IMG_8348 (Small).jpg

IMG_8349 (Small).jpg

IMG_8350 (Small).jpg

This is some of the doors frames :rolleyes:
IMG_8370 (Small).jpg

This is a shot my poor mans Festool:D
IMG_8373 (Small).jpg

The rest are more shots of the doors with the panels. As I posted in another thread the panels are 3/16" bead boar with a 1/8" mahogany door skin sandwiched on the back. The 5/16" gives the door a little more mass than if it was just the thin bead board.
IMG_8374 (Small).jpg

IMG_8375 (Small).jpg

IMG_8376 (Small).jpg

Well I found a few more of the photos.... they were on the cell phone:doh:

This is a fuzzy shot of Mouna Kea. I keep say its been cold here!:rofl:
Image000.jpg

The ants go marching one by one hoo ra, hoo ra. Then I put the phone away when I got a dirty look:rofl:
Image001.jpg

Had to get one more shot. About 11-1200 foot elevation looking towards the mainland.:wave:
Image002 (Small).jpg

Base units in place.
Image003 (Small).jpg

Image004 (Small).jpg

Image005 (Small).jpg

They just couldn't wait to do dishes:D
Image006 (Small).jpg

Thanks for looking:thumb:

Royall,

You do nice work. Where is this home located? Is this a new house or a remodel?

Good job.

Aloha, Tony

Hi ya Tony!:wave:

Thanks for the warm fuzzies!:p

The house is in Ninole, about 19 miles up the coast from Hilo town. It is a remodel. After I get the kitchen done they want the bath remodeled with glass block shower wall, new floor and wall tile and new vanity. It'll keep me off the streets for a bit:D

Royal, the kitchen looks great and I love the site. What a view! I don't think I would have packed those cabinets all that way. Somehow, someway, that truck would have made it to that house!:D

Royal, the kitchen looks great and I love the site. What a view! I don't think I would have packed those cabinets all that way. Somehow, someway, that truck would have made it to that house!:D

Thanks Bill, It is a beautiful view from their house.:thumb: The dirt here is like that "red Georgia clay" I've heard so much about. It can be 15-30 feet deep in areas and when it is wet you can drive over is once or twice but after that it just gets very soft and very slippery. If I could have made a straight shot fast run at it I could have made it. But it was just too rough of a path and would have bounced the cabinets too much. As it is I have to do a couple of small ding repairs.:doh:

Cabinet project **UPDATE** IT'S FINISHED!!!

Well the house/kitchen remodel is PAU!! (pow means done/finished/through) Just have to go up and settle the last details with the owners and answer questions about the next phase the bathroom remodel. Wish they lived closer. 75 mile round trip gets old fast:D It's a 40 mile r/t to the closest hardware store:eek: That option only happened twice thank goodness:p :biker:
There are 30 photos so I set up a photo hosting site to make it easier on FWW. The photo caption and narative is seperated by an edit prompt, so be sure to look done a bit if the caption leaves you wondering:rofl:

While I was at it I added a second album, that is a bit longer.... almost 470 photos but it covers the building of my home here in Hawaii. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.:thumb:

Just click the link below to view the albums. By the way don't use the slide show feature as you won't see the captions:(

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:
http://royallswoodworking.shutterfly.com

Thanks for the warm fuzzies everybody,:D Went up today to add one piece of trim that I forgot and talked story on the bathroom. We'll see how that goes.:thumb:

That really turned out well Royall :thumb::thumb::thumb: I'll look at your house build at home tonight :D

Tom

Hope you don't get bored out of your scull Tom:rofl: There's a lot of photos when I built the house.:eek: Last night I look at them all again. I can't i imagine actually building it now:huh: When you're working day by day and one obstacle at a time is one thing but when I look back through the photos I find myself amazed that I did it! :eek::p

Thanks for looking though!

45 mins, I must be a speed looker :p Wow what a great location for a home Royall, Ya done real good :thumb: entire project is superb. I'm sure that you are happy you documented in such detail, years down the road you will appreciate going down memory road. Great kitchen, and really like the bath vanity. Sure is diferent seeing hot water heater and water pipes on the outside :eek: man that would equal frozen pipes here in Michigan. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed looking :thumb:

Tom