Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's to early ?

What's to early ?

My neighbor just came over and said I was making too much noise. He said it's Sunday and his children are asleep. I do live in a zero lot line neighbor hood, but I did wait until 10. I would normally start at 8 on the weekends because it's the only time I have to work on projects. I apologized and turned the sander off . Should I wait until his lazy teens get out of bed or should I wait until noon as he suggests ?

Here in CA most Police Departments adopt the ordinance of 7 am to 10 pm as being the times that it is okay to make noise, seven days a week. During those hours, if it is unusually objectionable, very loud noise, i.e. head banging music or rap music, you can file a complaint and the police will come out and assess the situation. However, after 10 pm, you can just call and you do not have to file a complaint, they will enforce the ordinance.

There are a couple of exceptions, garbage trucks or other city work, and construction. You are allowed to start earlier than 7 am if there is legal/permitted work being done.

YMMV.

On the other hand, how good of a neighbor is this family?...........
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

Gene, your post resonates with me because I am sensitive to noise and also currently live in a zero lot neighborhood. I can't wait to build out on some acreage I have, not because I could now make all the noise I want, but so I can get away from noise my neighbors make. Being sensitive to hearing noise, I am sensitive to making noise. I always keep my garage (actually a shop that looks like a garage) door shut when running any machinery or making any noise that I would find irritating if I was a neighbor. I have never had a complaint. If you were already working with no windows or doors open and still had the complaint, I would negotiate with the neighbor as to a reasonable time to start work. Personally I would think 9:00 start time would be fine, but make a pass at talking about this with the neighbor. Even if it was in the middle of the day, I don't think you have a right to make noise; that is why I keep everything buttoned up.

IMO your neighbor was being unreasonable. As far as I'm concerned, an 8:00 AM start time would be more than considerate on your part. Why should you live your life around his kids late night schedule?
    Dave

What are neighbors?
    Actually, I believe he was being unreasonable. Eight a.m. should be fine with anyone.

10am is not too early.

Its too bad your neighbors kid went out all night and partied and think the world has to shut down in the morning so they dont feel their hangovers too severely.

I dont worry about my own kids sleeping past 10-11am, I certainly wouldnt worry about my neighbors spoiled brats.

the world wakes up and life makes noise in the morning.where I live, gardeners ,contractors,and such cant do any work before 8am..

Being a good neighbor is important to me. I'm always the first one to lend a hand especially when hurricane shutters have to go up . I did stop the sanding and starting working on a sketchup project. I would close the garage to contain the noise but I need the ventilation . I was sanding in the driveway because the wood was ipe and I have an allergic reaction to the fine dust. Thanks for all the help and advice. Later when I take his Christmas gift over we will talk.

i agre that they shouldnt be able to tel us what or when but we arent city hall and we dont have alot of voice anymore ,,so to be civil ask your local law officails as to the law and then go tback to your neighbor and inform him of the rules then come to a aggreement that you canlive with.. in my opinion 8AM is plenty good for anyone to hear noise.. but if you have means to tame it down i would do that as well..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I agree that 10:00 AM is not too early. My own personal rule is 9:00 AM on weekends. At the other end of the spectrum, I don't run any power tools past 8:00 PM either. For comparison purposes, I live in a typical subdivision with 1/4 acre lots.

About a decade ago, on the 5th of July, the neighbor across the street was up until 2 in the morning shooting off fireworks, came over and complained about noise at 9:00 AM the next day. I generally like this guy so I tried to find other things to do for awhile but it wasn't long before I turned my planer back on. As a total morning person (in bed by 10 PM, awake by 5 AM) I found his line of thinking (?) quite ironic.

Another situation occurred with another neighbor where I was installing roofing on an addition to my house. It must have been around 4 PM. He wanted me to stop because he was on nightshift at work that week and the nail gun noise was keeping him up. I apologized but explained that I needed to complete the job and that was my only convenient time. I did ask if he preferred if alternatively, I completed the job at midnight.

PS - Since I don't let the fact that my own kids (10 & 13) sleep over the shop/garage, why should I let the neighbors kids stop me?
    Last edited by Peter Lyon; 12-21-2008 at 05:15 PM.

Noise is controlled by local codes and ordnances and the only definitive answer is your LOCAL codes. Seems like your local government has just about covered everything... I'd suggest finding a police officer or someone familiar with you're local legal system explain the application of those codes in your area.

http://library2.municode.com/default...e=noise;noises;

Mike