Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoppers without a clue!

Shoppers without a clue!

Yes, I'm sorry, I don't charge tax, I just collect it.

No, even if you buy 6 of those, I'm still required by law to charge tax.

I'm sorry m'am, but it's very crowded and I can't be responsible for watching your 4 kids while you shop for them.
    No, I can't have the cashier watch them, she's a bit busy right now.
    (isnt this why they invented duct tape?)

No, sorry, we close X-mas eve around 7:30 or 8.
    Why?, because all the workers have families they'd like to spend the holidays with.

No m'am, if it says 8 years or older, I dont think its appropiate for a 2 y/o.

I understand you're short 4 dollars, but our prices are reduced as far as we can go.
    No, Im sorry but trusting people for 4 dollars till next week is not a policy of this store.

No, Im sorry, we dont deliver on xmas eve after midnight(xmas day)
    (I thought Santa locked that job up anyway)

Oh, the joy of retail during xmas season.

eh, sorry, just blowing off steam.
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-22-2008 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Oh, the joy of retail during xmas season.

eh, sorry, just blowing off steam.
    Allen,

Way, way back in 1968 I was in HS and worked after school (about 20 hours a week). I worked for Bradlees Family Circle (now defunct) as a floor person it the hardware and automotive department. I made my mind up at the ripe age of 17 that I never wanted to have a career in retail. Thanks for further confirming my decision.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 12-22-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I worked in retail just after HS (1988 ) for about a year while in college, not my bag, went back to working construction.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I have owned retail stores. Could regale y'all with stories. Dealing with the public can by trying, to say the least.
    I emphasize your pain/frustration.
    Folks is funny critters.

OH MY I feel for you, and understand LOML was in retail management for around 35 years and FINALY the end of september she said ENOUGH! Gave her 2 weeks notice and went looking for a new job. She is now working entry level at a credit union, making half of what she was, and is happier than ever. Hang in there Allen, the season is coming to an end soon. At the least, with the weak economy, I hope your business is being profitable for you

Tom

Yes, retail was really fun. It ruined the happiness of Christmas for me. No joke. I just can't get in the mood anymore. Even though I'm out of the retail per se, I still deal with customers who are of the same mentality. Just a little better hours now. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Hubby works retail. Yuuck!! Working on Christmas Eve until late, and going back the day after Christmas at 8:00 a.m. really bites--leaves us practically no time to celebrate the real reason for the season.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Trust me,, you want retail horror stories,, try owning your own CB radio Repair shop. There isn't a worse customer in the world than a truck driver who thinks he knows everything about CB Radios.
    Throw Apples out the Windows, but make sure not to hit the Penguin.

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can’t be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Hubby works retail. Yuuck!! Working on Christmas Eve until late, and going back the day after Christmas at 8:00 a.m. really bites--leaves us practically no time to celebrate the real reason for the season.

My small staff is pretty good about xmas eve. By 7:30, we close.
    The women with small kids, they leave earlier.
    Its like a family, so when it dies down later in the afternoon, theres gift exchanging, hugs, I cater in some food, and try to create a more relaxed atmosphere the last 5-6 hours. Sometimes the shoppers get heavy, but theres always time for everyone to go in back and relax and eat and chat at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    My small staff is pretty good about xmas eve. By 7:30, we close.
    The women with small kids, they leave earlier.
    Its like a family, so when it dies down later in the afternoon, theres gift exchanging, hugs, I cater in some food, and try to create a more relaxed atmosphere the last 5-6 hours. Sometimes the shoppers get heavy, but theres always time for everyone to go in back and relax and eat and chat at different times.
    Allen, I worked retail when I lived in Chicago and the owner made sure the same thing happened there as well...many times throughout the year. It ment quite a bit to everyone that worked there. Employees are much more flexible when they have a great boss to work for! Well Done.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website