Shoppers without a clue!

allen levine

Yes, I'm sorry, I don't charge tax, I just collect it.

No, even if you buy 6 of those, I'm still required by law to charge tax.

I'm sorry m'am, but it's very crowded and I can't be responsible for watching your 4 kids while you shop for them.
No, I can't have the cashier watch them, she's a bit busy right now.
(isnt this why they invented duct tape?)

No, sorry, we close X-mas eve around 7:30 or 8.
Why?, because all the workers have families they'd like to spend the holidays with.

No m'am, if it says 8 years or older, I dont think its appropiate for a 2 y/o.

I understand you're short 4 dollars, but our prices are reduced as far as we can go.
No, Im sorry but trusting people for 4 dollars till next week is not a policy of this store.

No, Im sorry, we dont deliver on xmas eve after midnight(xmas day)
(I thought Santa locked that job up anyway)

Oh, the joy of retail during xmas season.

eh, sorry, just blowing off steam.

Last edited:
Oh, the joy of retail during xmas season.

eh, sorry, just blowing off steam.
Allen,

Way, way back in 1968 I was in HS and worked after school (about 20 hours a week). I worked for Bradlees Family Circle (now defunct) as a floor person it the hardware and automotive department. I made my mind up at the ripe age of 17 that I never wanted to have a career in retail. Thanks for further confirming my decision. :rofl:

Last edited:
OH MY I feel for you, and understand :eek: LOML was in retail management for around 35 years and FINALY the end of september she said ENOUGH! Gave her 2 weeks notice and went looking for a new job. She is now working entry level at a credit union, making half of what she was, and is happier than ever:D. Hang in there Allen, the season is coming to an end soon. At the least, with the weak economy, I hope your business is being profitable for you :wave:

Tom

Yes, retail was really fun. It ruined the happiness of Christmas for me. No joke. I just can't get in the mood anymore. :( Even though I'm out of the retail per se, I still deal with customers who are of the same mentality.:wave: Just a little better hours now. Jim.

Hubby works retail. Yuuck!! Working on Christmas Eve until late, and going back the day after Christmas at 8:00 a.m. really bites--leaves us practically no time to celebrate the real reason for the season.

Trust me,, you want retail horror stories,, try owning your own CB radio Repair shop. There isn't a worse customer in the world than a truck driver who thinks he knows everything about CB Radios. :rolleyes:

Hubby works retail. Yuuck!! Working on Christmas Eve until late, and going back the day after Christmas at 8:00 a.m. really bites--leaves us practically no time to celebrate the real reason for the season.

My small staff is pretty good about xmas eve. By 7:30, we close.
The women with small kids, they leave earlier.
Its like a family, so when it dies down later in the afternoon, theres gift exchanging, hugs, I cater in some food, and try to create a more relaxed atmosphere the last 5-6 hours. Sometimes the shoppers get heavy, but theres always time for everyone to go in back and relax and eat and chat at different times.

Its like a family, so when it dies down later in the afternoon, theres gift exchanging, hugs, I cater in some food, and try to create a more relaxed atmosphere the last 5-6 hours. Sometimes the shoppers get heavy, but theres always time for everyone to go in back and relax and eat and chat at different times.

Allen, I worked retail when I lived in Chicago and the owner made sure the same thing happened there as well...many times throughout the year. It ment quite a bit to everyone that worked there. Employees are much more flexible when they have a great boss to work for! Well Done. :thumb:

Allen, you're a regular Fezzywig.:thumb:

Trust me,, you want retail horror stories,, try owning your own CB radio Repair shop. There isn't a worse customer in the world than a truck driver who thinks he knows everything about CB Radios. :rolleyes:
he he he, and they always want the BIG radio... so they can chat with that truck right in front of them and melt the guy's receiver. There are days when I want a small unit in my work van, but not often and not enough to divert shop funds to one.

I must admit to a perverse streak. My wife hates taking me shopping with her. One of my favorites, after getting the shopping cart rammed by some (usually female) shopper, is to say real loud " boy, I would sure hate to pay your car insurance bill, seeing as how you can't even drive a shopping cart without hitting something" Or "usually I look behind me when I back up, what does you poor car look like?" Or "maybe they should put airbags on shopping carts so your kids won't get killed cause mom really has to get her twinkies before anyone else"

You can be quite inventive in this department. It is a small attempt to bring civility back to a common experience. Some people bust out laughing and apologize. Others give you that drop dead stare or the standard EXCUUUUSE MEEEE! I smile and give them a " no excuse for bad manners".

The other one who gets my goat is the shopper who leaves their cart in the middle of the isle with people backed up on either side while they stare at the shelves as if they just got sucked into the twilight zone. "I bet you are one of those double parking type people". Or "boy isn't it neat, they actually have canned yams now, could I help you move your cart?" :D

Like I said, My wife doesn't take me shopping very often. :D Not that I miss it.

nothing on earth bothers me more than the woman who is senior to me, (I dont know what others consider senior, so Ill just say over 70), sees me on a line in the supermarket, and walks in front of me, and says, I only have 2 items, do you mind?

My answer is always, Im sorry, I do mind, since Ive been on this line for over 15 minutes, and my meter is not going to make it, or Im going to be late for work.

Its one thing to ask, do you mind if I cut in front of you with one item? not to go in front FIRST, and say, oh, do you mind?

Id love to be in the store with Paul when this happens. Id give him the floor.

I must admit to a perverse streak. My wife hates taking me shopping with her. One of my favorites, after getting the shopping cart rammed by some (usually female) shopper, is to say real loud " boy, I would sure hate to pay your car insurance bill, seeing as how you can't even drive a shopping cart without hitting something" Or "usually I look behind me when I back up, what does you poor car look like?" Or "maybe they should put airbags on shopping carts so your kids won't get killed cause mom really has to get her twinkies before anyone else"

You can be quite inventive in this department. It is a small attempt to bring civility back to a common experience. Some people bust out laughing and apologize. Others give you that drop dead stare or the standard EXCUUUUSE MEEEE! I smile and give them a " no excuse for bad manners".

The other one who gets my goat is the shopper who leaves their cart in the middle of the isle with people backed up on either side while they stare at the shelves as if they just got sucked into the twilight zone. "I bet you are one of those double parking type people". Or "boy isn't it neat, they actually have canned yams now, could I help you move your cart?" :D

Like I said, My wife doesn't take me shopping very often. :D Not that I miss it.

I like Paul.

Me, too. I think I'll borrow some of his comments.

The LOML has shushed me a few times too! Though, Paul's a bit more civil than I. :rofl:

I like Paul.
Ditto!:D

But would you go shopping with him?:rofl::D:rofl:
Absolutely!! :thumb:

nothing on earth bothers me more than the woman who is senior to me, (I dont know what others consider senior, so Ill just say over 70), sees me on a line in the supermarket, and walks in front of me, and says, I only have 2 items, do you mind?

My answer is always, Im sorry, I do mind, since Ive been on this line for over 15 minutes, and my meter is not going to make it, or Im going to be late for work.

Its one thing to ask, do you mind if I cut in front of you with one item? not to go in front FIRST, and say, oh, do you mind?

Id love to be in the store with Paul when this happens. Id give him the floor.
We used to live in an area that was about 40% retirement village. I've been through the "do you mind" routine a few times. One line I loved to hear was, "I'm on a limited income." My answer was always, "No, you're on a guarateed income, courtesy of me and taxpayers like me. I'm the one that might be out of a job next week and with no income!"

OOOOOh, Paul would have fun at Safeway here in Hilo:rofl::rofl: I'd have to follow around with a camcorder:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Do I hear AFV? $10,000?:eek:

Me, too. I think I'll borrow some of his comments.
I've already jotted them down. :rofl:

last 15 minutes

so after an incredibly busy day, (not complaining at all),things start to lighten up around late in the afternoon on weds, but then it gets heavy as people realize, Omg, its 5;30 xmas eve, I forgot so and so.
Malls are closed, so we start to get that last minute push.

Around 7:30, 7:40, Im trying to shut the doors, but people keep running in, my workers are beat, time to go home.

one of the last sales spoiled it all, the nastiest attitude Ive ever seen in a long time exhibited by a shopper.

He is around 45-50, well dressed, well groomed, obviously intelligent, educated, is explaining to the 2 cashiers about how he needs to buy 2 identical gifts, one for his ailing mother, and one for his grandmother, who is something like 102 years old and is in a nursing facility.
Making small talk, expected since I have mostly young women working the registers, and male customers always seem to explain their purchases, I dont know why. Maybe they just like talking to the young cashiers.

One of the cashiers, is 20, short little central American girl who is 7 months pregnant. Sweetest kid on this planet, well liked, by everyone, customers and coworkers alike.
Im standing there shaking some hands, happy new year, merry xmas stuff, getting hugs, giving hugs, most of the workers getting ready to leave, and all of the sudden this guy is screaming at the little cashier.
" What do you think, Im stupid? You think you can run a scam by me, and Im not smart enough to know youre ripping me off?!!!!!!! You businesses should be shut down, you always try to scam the public, take advantage of people who are in a rush, whats wrong with you!!!!!!!!! Gimme back my money!!!!!!!

I run out to the register, fearing this guy is going to actually strike my cashier, not on my watch, not in my lifetime, hes yelling loudly nonstop into her face, and she is just about crying. Here it is, 7:40 xmas eve, we should have been closed, we let these people in cause they were desperate. I dont need their 25 dollars to make my holiday season. Not at all.

Seems he took a 14.99 perfume set, or dusting powder, (its a discount variety store)decided he didnt want it, so the cashier voided it after she rung it up. On the paper receipt, it shows void 14.99, then the 14.99. He thought she charged him an extra 15 dollars and insisted he was right, even after I tried to explain to him the 4th time.
He said, you got a calculater, Ill show you you cant scam me!!!! I handed him a brand new calculator, said, here, please do the math, but if youre unhappy, I will gladly give you your money back, theres no need to shout at this little girl, she did nothing wrong. Ofcourse he was totally wrong, the moron cant add, and he quickly, in a flash, said, ok, when Im wrong I say I am, and ran out of the store, with his tail between his legs.
The store was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. A dozen customers standing around waiting to see the result of this guys blast of anger.

I tried to explain to him, sir, Im here over 30 years, the store for over 50, we didnt get this far by scamming or ripping off our customers.

and that was how we ended the xmas season in my store, with this idiot frightening the heck out of the sweetest girl I think I might have ever had work for me.(big pregnant belly also, which was why it was so upsetting to everyone)

people cant handle this stuff, the shopping, the expenditures, they need to take it out on someone. The cashier was leaving anyway after xmas season, but she said she was extremely frightened, not her words, but close enough.