Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Island/Table

Kitchen Island/Table

I have finally finished (and delivered) my latest project, which I have been working on this past autumn. It is a kind of kitchen island/counter height table. The idea was to give the customer a table that would work as a prep area for cooking and a social center for the living and kitchen area. The wood used is primarily maple for the base with some bubinga and pecan and Indonesian monkey pot for the top. The top is a slab purchased from a company in Shikoku that sells this kind of large slab counter tops. The joinery is mainly mortise and tenon done on my Leigh FMT jig, a wonderful jig I highly recommend to anyone doing M&T a lot, with dovetails on the top of the drawer railings and box joints on the drawers. The cabinet space on the left is for garbage (cans and bottles) with a hinged flap above the door. The hinged flap is riding on 6mm pins set into 8mm(outside dia) 6mm(inside dia) inset bushings for a nice smooth hinge action. I had to make the front face of the base in a step down style to accommodate the taper on the top. This made the joinery a little tricky due to the fact that accuracy was important to keep things square. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Alex Reid; 12-22-2008 at 12:57 PM.

wow, that is fantastic.

I got Tauntons fine woodworking furniture book for one of my gifts tonight, that unit would fit right in the center of the book.

Thankyou for posting pictures.

It is a beautiful piece top to bottom. I'd expect nothing less from you anyway.

Really nice work. The top looks really good with the natural edge. That is Monkey Pod, not Monkey Pot, right?

That's sweet, Alex. Nice little details all over the place.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ooooooooooooh, I LIKE IT!!!!! You really did yourself Proud on this piece, Alex. The stepped Face/Front is really a nice touch to handle the taper in the top. Beautiful wood combination too.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    That is a beautiful piece of wood Alex. If I may ask, what did that chunk cost in Japan? There is a monkey pod tree on the way to the post office in Kea'au that is about 75' tall, maybe has a spread of 100', and has limbs about 2' diameter. If it ever comes down I'll be there with my chain saw
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Thanks all for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Really nice work. The top looks really good with the natural edge. That is Monkey Pod, not Monkey Pot, right?
    Bill I always mix that name up. You're probably right. But the seller told me this tree was from Indonesia.

Royall this 2300 mm long by 600-900 mm wide by 60 mm thick piece cost about $450.00 at today's exchange rate. that dollar has come waaay down.

very nice table alex,, i like the natural edge of your table.. what are the pieces coming out the top.. wall structure?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    very nice table alex,, i like the natural edge of your table.. what are the pieces coming out the top.. wall structure?
    Thanks Larry. Those pieces are structural. Here is a picture I forgot to include that shows the structure a little better.