Kitchen Island/Table

Alex Reid

I have finally finished (and delivered) my latest project, which I have been working on this past autumn. It is a kind of kitchen island/counter height table. The idea was to give the customer a table that would work as a prep area for cooking and a social center for the living and kitchen area. The wood used is primarily maple for the base with some bubinga and pecan and Indonesian monkey pot for the top. The top is a slab purchased from a company in Shikoku that sells this kind of large slab counter tops. The joinery is mainly mortise and tenon done on my Leigh FMT jig, a wonderful jig I highly recommend to anyone doing M&T a lot, with dovetails on the top of the drawer railings and box joints on the drawers. The cabinet space on the left is for garbage (cans and bottles) with a hinged flap above the door. The hinged flap is riding on 6mm pins set into 8mm(outside dia) 6mm(inside dia) inset bushings for a nice smooth hinge action. I had to make the front face of the base in a step down style to accommodate the taper on the top. This made the joinery a little tricky due to the fact that accuracy was important to keep things square. Thanks for looking.

kitchenisland1.JPG

kitchenisland2.JPG

kitchenisland3.JPG

kitchenisland4.JPG

kitchenisland5.JPG

Last edited:
wow, that is fantastic.

I got Tauntons fine woodworking furniture book for one of my gifts tonight, that unit would fit right in the center of the book.

Thankyou for posting pictures.

Ooooooooooooh, I LIKE IT!!!!!:thumb: You really did yourself Proud on this piece, Alex. The stepped Face/Front is really a nice touch to handle the taper in the top. Beautiful wood combination too.

Thanks all for the comments.

Really nice work. The top looks really good with the natural edge. That is Monkey Pod, not Monkey Pot, right?

Bill I always mix that name up. You're probably right. But the seller told me this tree was from Indonesia. :huh:

Royall this 2300 mm long by 600-900 mm wide by 60 mm thick piece cost about $450.00 at today's exchange rate. :eek: that dollar has come waaay down.

Nice work! really great use of space. :thumb:
Boy, you got me thinking now, I got a really small kitchen and
your design would really work well. Hmmmm... :huh:
I may steal it for my own use! :wave:

That is a great piece of furniture. You combined art with utility. It really looks like it belongs there.
Is open shelf storage of dishes a common practice in Japan?

Frank you are the second person to ask about the open shelves. They were done like that by request. My preference would have been with proper cupboard doors.

$450 bucks!:eek: You would pay 3x's that here on the big island.:( They do push all prices to the max and most of the time get away with it. just no competition. I just can't get over how good looking it is:thumb:

Royall I made a small error in the exchange. The price in dollars at today's exchange rate would be about $550.00 U.S. Heck the price was actually 50,000 yen.

Nice work! really great use of space. :thumb:
Boy, you got me thinking now, I got a really small kitchen and
your design would really work well. Hmmmm... :huh:
I may steal it for my own use! :wave:

Dave go ahead. Hope it inspires.

Last edited:
Alex, nice job. I was wondering if you had thought about doing the drawer fronts like G&G leaveing the "pins" protruding a bit. Thats a killer top
Reg