Just one......

Stuart Ablett

I've been really busy, with work, (retail, at Christmas!) the Aparto, and trying to figure out the iCarver, last night, as the iCarver was running through a test fire, I made this little guy.......

geetech_snowman.JPG

Nothing special, but the wood is from the pallet that the iCarver came on, it smelled like pine, but it a bit harder than most pine I've seen, although, it is still fairly soft. It has a spalted look to it, but I'm thinking maybe that is not spalting, but some of that beetle infested wood coming out of Canada, and other places?

I found this pic on the web for "Denim Pine Flooring"......

denim_pine.jpg

Anyways, whatever kind of wood it is, I have some more and I'll be turning it for sure.

This little guy I'm going to send to my contact at Geetech as a thank you.

Cheers!

Stu, am sure you are aware but thought a reminder in order for others. Turn on the DC at least while turning anything from a skid/pallet as they are sprayed for critters and who knows what that spray will do to you once released while cutting.

Yep, good idea Jonathan.

I run my DC almost all the time while turning, it does not get the big stuff, as it was not set up to do that, but the little stuff, it sure gets all, or most of that! :thumb:

I took a couple more shots of the little guy, to show off the coloring a bit more.....
SN3D0959.jpg SN3D0958.jpg

Looks nice but it is not fun to turn, it tears out if you look at it wrong, and it really chips a lot.

Cheers!

Stu, it just would be christmas around here if you didn't post at least one of these...I agree with Pete, at first look I thought it was soapstone or something.

Hey Stu,
Cute little snowman

Being in Japan, have you been up to where they turn the Kokeishi dolls yet?
I saw a demo on how they turn those on line a while back... pretty neat turnings.
They are on my to-do list... about number 70 I think.

Anyone who joined the family in the past year owes it to themselves to check out Stu's [Snowmen] thread from Oct/Nov 2007.

Keep scrolling down; you don't want to miss the double-box versions! :thumb:

Thank you for the promo Kerry, those were fun for sure, and everyone really liked them.

Fun to do, and people like them, what more could you ask for?

Cheers!