New Wood - How to turn it ?

Dan Mosley

I got this pc of wood from a relative that came to visit with alot of other wood that ill post later. This pc im posting and looking for some suggestions on how i should turn it. its shape throws me a bit in terms of the best way to mount it and turn.......wondering how others would turn this ???
One idea was to put a hot glue block on the flat side and mount it that way...turn the tennon on the natural end and then reverse it ...not sure that is the best way though.....any thoughts ??

Attachments

• wood 5 (600 x 450).jpg
    wood 5 (600 x 450).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 87
Yer idea seems like the best way to go to me. It looks like some kind of really fancy burl.
I love your workbench and the stash of wood under it. Makes me feel at home. A used shop is a loved shop. :thumb:

Hi Dan
I think it would depend on what you want to make, if a bowl, determine the side you want for your inside and use a Screw Chuck, drill hole and mount.
Just my two cents worth.
Merry Christmas
Larry

yeah im thinking a bowl and for the safe way im going to use a faceplate and slide the tail up onto it to hold it in place......not sure when ill have a day off but at the moment it seems the best.......and yep its a really wild looking burl pc of wood......Thanks Dan.........PS ill post the pic of the rest of the wood i got tonight

I think would go with a face plate on the cut part, and turn a tenon on the bark side. From the looks of the pic, that would maximize the size you can get out of it.

If you do decide to put the face plate on the bark side, you should try to get below the bark and create a decent flat spot to mount it. I've used a beater hand plane, or my power planer with junky blades to make the flat spot for the face plate on bark faces. You can even use a bench chisel to get a flat spot. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the more contact between the plate and the solid wood the better.

Whichever way you go, it looks like a real promising piece of wood. :thumb:

I've used sacrificial blocks many times -- but never with "hot glue". Don't trust it spinning at high speed. I've used CA when in a hurry -- titebond yellow glue when I have time to let it dry for a while.

Tony

Tony - im going to start trying in the future the CA and titebond glues(both of which i have) on the block. I have not had the best of luck with a hot glue, meaning sometimes it stays on well and other times it comes off...thanks Dan

Vaughn - in the pic the one side is flat and kind of funnel/coned looking on the bark/burl side (other side-shown). i think ill mount the face plate to the flat side (side not shown) and turn a tennon on the bark side at the tip then,.......flip it around and finish it that way...its approx 11" diameter so i ill let you know how it goes......thanks Dan

Larry - i see what your saying but i would have to remove my spigot chucks from my supernova to use the screw chuck. Not a big deal but a little hassle. Ill try it on one of the other pc's as i have 3 of them (large burls)......thanks Dan

Last edited: