Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera

Digital Camera

Looking for some advice on getting a new camera. We currently have an Kodak 5 megapixel. I would like to upgrade this to something more current in the 8 to 10 megapixel range. It would be used 95% of the time by my wife. who uses it to take pictures of the kids, ie.. soccer games and around the house.

Any recommendations? Would prefer something no more the $400 if possible.

Thanks

Randy

I am well pleased with my Sony DSC H-2 model. The models are way past 2 at this point.
    Stu has an Olympus that is highly rated. I can't bring the model to mind but he will probably chime in. It has features I like and probably will get one for me next digi cam.

Just got the Canon 1100 for my parents (both in their 80's). I of course had to charge it and test it out before I wrapped it. The image stabilization is quite impressive and it is literally point and shoot for those (like me) who just want a decent snapshot most of the time! I have a Rebel that I use when I need close ups or different exposures for a shot but, for grab and go, the 1100 was pretty cool.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

If you haven't already, I'd suggest spending some time at www.dpreview.com. I think you'll find there are a ton of good cameras in your price range.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've got a Canon S5is that I'm pretty fond of. The replacement model (SX10is) is $350 or so street price, 20X zoom, 10MP.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

We just unwrapped a Canon SX110is yesterday (Christmas gift from my parents and ourselves) which I chose based on size and features. A 10X zoom was mandatory in my mind and a compact size was mandatory in my wife's. We looked at at Panasonic TZ5 or something like that too. The deciding factor was the AA batteries on the Canon vs. the Panasonic's proprietary battery. The Panasonic was more compact though. My brother got a Kodak yesterday--not sure of the mode--but he is seriously thinking about returning it and getting the same Canon after playing with ours. Its available at most big box retailers for similar prices to those found online after the gift card/instant rebate most are offering. We got ours from Costco--its an online only item, but the price after shipping and a free memory card was comparable to most other places. And they have a great return policy.

Our last (first digital) camera was a Fuji S5000 and I'm still extremely happy with it. Its an SLR-look-alike so it wasn't real compact which my wife wasn't crazy about. But it has always taken great pictures and will now be my shop camera. We got it in Chicago 5 years ago this week and I compared dozens of cameras in dozens of stores and liked it the best. One of my brothers had its successor. He accidentally left it on the roof of our minivan when we left his house in south Minneapolis two years ago. About St. Paul we hear a funny clunk and I thought we just hit a piece of debris or something. South of Milwaukee we stopped for lunch and found it hanging from the seat of his bike on the bike rack. It survived all that way banging around without a problem. His wife almost beat him dead right there in the parking lot but we all couldn't help but laugh. It did die a year later when he dropped it 6' on concrete.

For compact digi cams, the selection seems to be more difficult than with larger models. A couple years ago, I bought my wife a compact Pentax Optio. Basically, a nice camera. But she found it awkward to use and, worst of all, it is a serious battery hog. She gets only 3-4 shots from new batteries before the low battery warning comes on she can't use the flash. This is really intolerable.
    So, for Christmas, she is getting a new Nikon Coolpix. Also a compact model but reviews do say it is user friendly and very easy on batteries. Up to 180 shots on two new AAs. I don't believe that but if she gets about 50, it will be good.
    BTW, I'll be keeping the old Pentax in the truck ready for the 'just in case' event.

I've had several digital cameras and currently use a Nikon D40X for most photography. I've been very satisfied with all of its capabilities.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Hey Randy, >> THIS << is the thread I posted about my new camera search, I ended up with the Olympus SP-570UZ, and we really like it, it takes great pics. Take a look at some of the pic I took on that page (they are full sized, HUGE). The 20x zoom is amazing for taking pics of your kids at sports events, or on stage for school stuff.

There is a slightly newer, and slightly different model out as of October, the SP-565UZ you can read a preview of it >> HERE << it seems to be very similar to the SP-570UZ I have, but a tad smaller and lighter, and about $100 cheaper.

I hope this helps!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

BTW, >> HERE << are some pics I took with the camera, just to give you an idea.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward