1880 Writing Desk & Hutch Design

Ron Fritz

Over the course of the last 6 months I have seen a couple examples of an antique writing desk with a drop down door/lid on the hutch. One was in a B&B and the other was in the house of a friend who said that the desk was circa 1880. I really want to make one of these desks in Cherry and have drawn two different designs in SketchUp, one with the original drop down door and a more conventional double door design. Has anyone seen similar desks, especially with the drop down door/lid? Since I know that this crowd has lots of opinions, which of the attached designs do you prefer? Thanks for your help. Ron

Attachments

• 1880 Desk-c5 (Medium).jpg
    1880 Desk-c5 (Medium).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 1880 Desk-c2 (Medium).jpg
    1880 Desk-c2 (Medium).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 1880 Desk-a7 (Medium).jpg
    1880 Desk-a7 (Medium).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1880 Desk-a9 (Medium).jpg
    1880 Desk-a9 (Medium).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 1880 Desk-b1 (Medium).jpg
    1880 Desk-b1 (Medium).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1880 Desk-b4 (Medium).jpg
    1880 Desk-b4 (Medium).jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 45
drop down lid

first of all i too wouldlike to commend you on your sketchup abilities,,that looks like a photograph:thumb: i have sen the drop down lid version and was drawn to it from across the room.. mine was in a funeral parlor .. i would love to make one and if you get this going please post your work on it. and if you end up gettin some kind of plans i would be intersterd in gettin a copy. just let me know how much...thanks and looks fantastic,, mine was in gtrt swn oak but cherry would be really sweet!!!

a question if i may,, what did the drop down writing area have on it ? mine had leather inside to write on and i think that cherry would be to soft to write on without some protection.

Last edited:
I like the original drop down style, but I like the looks of the double doors when in the up position. I don't think I like that one big panel look of the drop down, just my taste I guess but I might get used to it if I look at it longer.

I vote for the double doors as well... though there's a lot to be said for the slanted writing surface of the other example. Any way to incorporate that element as well? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

For use, the drop down version for sure, for looks, the double door version. make it a drop down version with the drop down looking like doors. And your sketch-up skills...GREAT. I thought it was a photo also.

Tom

I like the double door version. What advantages would the slant top writing surface be? Would it be that any wear on the surface would not show with the door in the up position. It looks to me that keeping things on the top could be a problem. Does the top have a lip or something to keep things from sliding off?

I too thought those were photos, and wondered why they were so dark. Great job on the Sketchup Ron.

I think Bill Lantry has the right idea. (I'm glad I thought of that) :rofl: The double door design could be incorporated into the dropdown front panel and give this piece one elegant look. :thumb:

I'd go along with Larry on the writing surface. I think I would like leather too. ;)

I wish I had the skills and time to make something like that. It makes me think of my Dad and the furniture he used to make. (I gotta get some pictures of some of them from my sister)

Aloha, Tony

I'll echo some of the earlier statements. I like the closed look of the two door design, but I'm fascinated by the uniqueness of the drop down writing surface. Can you do both?

Great comments, thanks. Actually, the drop down door/lid was not intended to be a writing surface. The originals that I saw had the drop down door but because I added the 3 small drawers it raised the door up and it now drops at a slant and does not lay flat as the originals did. Turning the drop down into a writing surface is an interesting idea though. The other comment that I saw was to make the dropdown look like a double door when it was in the upright position. I still like the original concept of a drop down but in reality it looks like it would be awkward to get at the inner compartment and use the desk writing surface at the same time. Double doors are more practical. I'll keep working on refining the drawing. Ron

Ron, just want to end to the conversation. You have outstanding Sketchup skills. I wish you were still at work to could help me get to your level.
My opinion on the type of desk would be the door style that drops down to become a writing desk. I don't really like the plain look of the original drop down, but that's just my 2 cents. I'd like to see the project unfold, will you be posting pictures here or on your web site.

:wave:

Hello Rolf, it's good to hear from you again. It's been 18 months since I left the big X. I'll post the final design on my website as well as the completed project, however, my wife and I will be heading out to spend the next 2 months in the Florida Keys which means no woodshop until March. Happy Holidys, Ron

...and the winner is... Thanks for all your input on the desk design. I have decided on using the double door design and will build this in Cherry sometime next year. The SketchUp Model is available for download on my website HERE. Ron

Attachments

• 1880 Desk-d9 (Medium).jpg
    1880 Desk-d9 (Medium).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1880 Desk-d13 (Medium).jpg
    1880 Desk-d13 (Medium).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 19