Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: UHMW snowman

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,835

    UHMW snowman

    All this talk lately about snowmen and UHMW. Just for fun, I picked up a hunk of scrap and tried, and I do mean "tried" turning a snowman from it. Right color. Wrong stuff to turn. Gets gummy and doesn't turn clean. Chalk up as learning experience. Unlikely this stuff will ever go on my lathe again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uhmw snowman.jpg  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,071
    Ho, Ho, Ho Frank, looks like Frosty the Snowman from here.

    You do need to use slow speeds Frank and a gouge. Keeping the plastic cool is important, you may want to set up the compressor with a stream of cold air against the blank. Look for a long ribbon as you turn, face your gouge so the ribbon doesn't wrap around the blank or spindle.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Goodland, Kansas
    Posts
    4,834
    Nice job Frank. Looks like Frosty to me.
    Bernie W.

    Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

    To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    Ho, Ho, Ho Frank, looks like Frosty the Snowman from here.

    You do need to use slow speeds Frank and a gouge. Keeping the plastic cool is important, you may want to set up the compressor with a stream of cold air against the blank. Look for a long ribbon as you turn, face your gouge so the ribbon doesn't wrap around the blank or spindle.
    Slow??? Now he tells me.
    My digi numbers said over 2300 rpms. Oh, well. Just a fun experiment.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,071
    Well there are four sections of your snowman; top of hat, hat rim, head, and belly. 2300 RPM divided by four equals 575 RPM each.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    lutefisk capitol, USA
    Posts
    485
    Interesting snowman. Not sure how you would put eyes on that stuff. I have a piece of it 2" diameter by 3 feet long. I use it to make special noses or cones for my tailstock.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Johnson View Post
    Interesting snowman. Not sure how you would put eyes on that stuff. I have a piece of it 2" diameter by 3 feet long. I use it to make special noses or cones for my tailstock.
    Now thets a useful tip.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lake City, Florida
    Posts
    498
    As Dale said, it's great stuff for jamb chucks and misc holders. If you have a tap it will hold threads well and screw right on the spindle. I have one jamb chuck threaded and fit for confetti lamps, another for flower vase glass tubes.

    I get mine from ebay, a guy collects cut off pieces and sells them by lots. Vary from 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" round, usually in 4 to 7" lengths. Only problem is they are BRIGHT Pink, but they are easy to find in the dark! PM me if you want a link.

    Tony

    Tony, BCE '75

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Posts
    11,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    As Dale said, it's great stuff for jamb chucks and misc holders. If you have a tap it will hold threads well and screw right on the spindle. I have one jamb chuck threaded and fit for confetti lamps, another for flower vase glass tubes.

    I get mine from ebay, a guy collects cut off pieces and sells them by lots. Vary from 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" round, usually in 4 to 7" lengths. Only problem is they are BRIGHT Pink, but they are easy to find in the dark! PM me if you want a link.

    Tony
    Thanks. But, I have almost 20' of this 1" round stock. Be a while before I use it up.

Similar Threads

  1. snowman decoration
    By dave worrall in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-22-2015, 05:52 AM
  2. snowman
    By Stephen Bellinger in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM
  3. snowman fever
    By Frank Fusco in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
  4. Snowman Pens
    By Stuart Ablett in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 07:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •