Thread: UHMW snowman

UHMW snowman

All this talk lately about snowmen and UHMW. Just for fun, I picked up a hunk of scrap and tried, and I do mean "tried" turning a snowman from it. Right color. Wrong stuff to turn. Gets gummy and doesn't turn clean. Chalk up as learning experience. Unlikely this stuff will ever go on my lathe again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uhmw snowman.jpg  

Ho, Ho, Ho Frank, looks like Frosty the Snowman from here.

You do need to use slow speeds Frank and a gouge. Keeping the plastic cool is important, you may want to set up the compressor with a stream of cold air against the blank. Look for a long ribbon as you turn, face your gouge so the ribbon doesn't wrap around the blank or spindle.

Nice job Frank. Looks like Frosty to me.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Townend View Post
    Ho, Ho, Ho Frank, looks like Frosty the Snowman from here.

You do need to use slow speeds Frank and a gouge. Keeping the plastic cool is important, you may want to set up the compressor with a stream of cold air against the blank. Look for a long ribbon as you turn, face your gouge so the ribbon doesn't wrap around the blank or spindle.
    Slow??? Now he tells me.
    My digi numbers said over 2300 rpms. Oh, well. Just a fun experiment.

Well there are four sections of your snowman; top of hat, hat rim, head, and belly. 2300 RPM divided by four equals 575 RPM each.

Interesting snowman. Not sure how you would put eyes on that stuff. I have a piece of it 2" diameter by 3 feet long. I use it to make special noses or cones for my tailstock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Johnson View Post
    Interesting snowman. Not sure how you would put eyes on that stuff. I have a piece of it 2" diameter by 3 feet long. I use it to make special noses or cones for my tailstock.
    Now thets a useful tip.

As Dale said, it's great stuff for jamb chucks and misc holders. If you have a tap it will hold threads well and screw right on the spindle. I have one jamb chuck threaded and fit for confetti lamps, another for flower vase glass tubes.

I get mine from ebay, a guy collects cut off pieces and sells them by lots. Vary from 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" round, usually in 4 to 7" lengths. Only problem is they are BRIGHT Pink, but they are easy to find in the dark! PM me if you want a link.

Tony

Tony, BCE '75

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    As Dale said, it's great stuff for jamb chucks and misc holders. If you have a tap it will hold threads well and screw right on the spindle. I have one jamb chuck threaded and fit for confetti lamps, another for flower vase glass tubes.

I get mine from ebay, a guy collects cut off pieces and sells them by lots. Vary from 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" round, usually in 4 to 7" lengths. Only problem is they are BRIGHT Pink, but they are easy to find in the dark! PM me if you want a link.

Tony
    Thanks. But, I have almost 20' of this 1" round stock. Be a while before I use it up.