UHMW snowman

Frank Fusco

All this talk lately about snowmen and UHMW. Just for fun, I picked up a hunk of scrap and tried, and I do mean "tried" turning a snowman from it. Right color. Wrong stuff to turn. Gets gummy and doesn't turn clean. Chalk up as learning experience. Unlikely this stuff will ever go on my lathe again.

Attachments

• uhmw snowman.jpg
    uhmw snowman.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 74
Ho, Ho, Ho Frank, looks like Frosty the Snowman from here.

You do need to use slow speeds Frank and a gouge. Keeping the plastic cool is important, you may want to set up the compressor with a stream of cold air against the blank. Look for a long ribbon as you turn, face your gouge so the ribbon doesn't wrap around the blank or spindle.

Ho, Ho, Ho Frank, looks like Frosty the Snowman from here.

You do need to use slow speeds Frank and a gouge. Keeping the plastic cool is important, you may want to set up the compressor with a stream of cold air against the blank. Look for a long ribbon as you turn, face your gouge so the ribbon doesn't wrap around the blank or spindle.

Slow??? :eek: Now he tells me. ;)
My digi numbers said over 2300 rpms. Oh, well. Just a fun experiment.

As Dale said, it's great stuff for jamb chucks and misc holders. If you have a tap it will hold threads well and screw right on the spindle. I have one jamb chuck threaded and fit for confetti lamps, another for flower vase glass tubes.

I get mine from ebay, a guy collects cut off pieces and sells them by lots. Vary from 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" round, usually in 4 to 7" lengths. Only problem is they are BRIGHT Pink, but they are easy to find in the dark! :D:D PM me if you want a link.

Tony

As Dale said, it's great stuff for jamb chucks and misc holders. If you have a tap it will hold threads well and screw right on the spindle. I have one jamb chuck threaded and fit for confetti lamps, another for flower vase glass tubes.

I get mine from ebay, a guy collects cut off pieces and sells them by lots. Vary from 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" round, usually in 4 to 7" lengths. Only problem is they are BRIGHT Pink, but they are easy to find in the dark! :D:D PM me if you want a link.

Tony

Thanks. But, I have almost 20' :eek: of this 1" round stock. Be a while before I use it up. :eek: