thread chasing tools

Dale Johnson

I was going through some of my multitudes of boxes of stuff and found a set of thread cutters by Crown Tool. They are 20 tpi and never used. From the looks of things I bought them at Woodcraft on clearance. New they were $60, I paid $30. If anyone wants to give me $30 I will pay the shipping to the new owner. I don't have the attention span to learn how to use these. I posted here since they are only of interest to us with the spinny disease.
Dale

Sold to Jon.

Last edited:
Jonathan,
Allan Batty has a great little video, "Hand Thread Chasing" that I got at Craft Supply when I was trying to learn to do threads... 20 tpi is pretty fine threads and it's actually easier to learn on 10 or 12 tpi threads. I think I finally got a set of 16 tpi that I wound up using on the project I was working on. You'll need to have a lathe that will get very slow.. 200 or 300 rpm is best, mine only goes down to 450 so the learning curve was a little sharper for me. You'll need some pretty fine grain hard wood to get good threads.

Oak, Hickory, and Walnut tend to be a little more open grained and will be harder to work with. If the maple is pretty tight grained, it'll work okay... that what I used when I was working on my project.

You can also get that video at Smartflix. It's definitely worth a watch.

At a demo I was talking to Alan Lacer about thread chasing and he gave me a fantastic tip: practice on PVC pipe. It's cheap and takes a great thread.

I haven't tried it yet, but this weekend may be the time :)

-Joe