Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router ??

Router ??

My PC 690 router has just bit the bullet and I am looking to upgrade. I have the Jessup lift so my options are a bit limited to a 2 1/4 hp max limit. the models that will fit the lift are the PC 890 series, Bosh 1618 series, Dewalt 618series and Milwaukee 5619 series. I have read a few reviews on a couple of these models and have experience with the PC brand, but Dewalt has an excellent 3 yr warranty. Would any one have personal experience with any of these models that they would be willing to share?

Thanks
    Drew
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Sorry JessEm lift.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

All the brands you mention are good and liked by many folks. As the router will be in a lift, a lot of the "feel" factor goes away as far as a best choice for you. Normally I would say height adjustment would be most important but you have that handled with the lift. Take a look at the collets as this is the part of the router you will be dealing with the most in your situation.

For example, here is a Milwaukee 56xx on the right and a DeWalt 618 on the left:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collet-compare-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	27052 BTW, the rust came on the DeWalt right out of the box; no extra charge.

I prefer a two wrench solution in the table as I don't have to deal with a locking button although some routers have auto-locking spindles that are good, some not so good. Variable speed is a must in a table if you will have any variety to speak of in your bit diameters used. A large paddled switch that can get hit without releasing your work is good as well but you may already have that covered and besides . . . I'm wandering.

I have Bosch, Milwaukee and even Ryobi routers but I reach for the Mil's first. 5615 fixed speed with an offset base for small edge bits, 5616 for plunge and VS hand work, 5625 in the table. The others get used but not as much. YMMV .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-24-2008 at 05:34 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ...I prefer a two wrench solution in the table as I don't have to deal with a locking button ... I have Bosch, Milwaukee and even Ryobi routers but I reach for the Mil's first. 5615 fixed speed with an offset base for small edge bits, 5616 for plunge and VS hand work, 5625 in the table. The others get used but not as much. YMMV .
    The Milwaukee wrenches are real wrenches, too - not just stamped sheet metal. I really like that.

I have two P-C 690s (D-handle and plunge), a Hitachi kit (fixed & plunge) another P-C plunge who's number I don't recall (the one that has had all the broken switch problems), a Mulwaukee 5615, and I keep a Hitachi M12V in the table full time.

My 'go to' routers are the 5615 and the 690 D-handle. I probably end up using them for 75+% of everything.

The 5615/5616 bodies ought to fit the Jessem lift. I'd be very inclined to go that route - probably the 5616, since it's variable speed. Otherwise, a new 890.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Sorry JessEm lift.
    Drew,

What model of JessEm do you have? I have one that came in my Jet tablesaw extension table. It will handle an M12V with no problem.

Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    ... since it's variable speed. ...
    I agree with variable speed but, if I had been thinking better when I changed the router in my table, I would have bought a fixed speed router and put an external speed control on it. Just another factor in the decision-making process.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Thanks guys for all the info of your experiences.

Glenn, I have only known the two wrench method a s well, All the new ones seem to have the spindle locks on them.

Bill. the Lift is a model 02302. I have an external variable speed control that is fantastic and I wouldn't go any other way. Mostly I use my router in the table at present but that may be changing.

Jim, Yes I am swaying more towards the PC 890 and I found a good sale on them at a local tool store. I didn't realise that Dewalt owns PC. So same warranty as the dewalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    I have an external variable speed control that is fantastic and I wouldn't go any other way.
    You can double check but, I believe your external control is not well suited for routers with soft start. Your documentation will tell you. Just a heads up as the Mil VS motors are soft start and electronic feedback. Both features dislike external VS controls.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I haven't used or even seen / handled one, but there are some deals available of Freud 2.25 HP units still.

Best of luck with your decision!

My first router, which is now in the table more or less all the time, is a PC 8529 plunge. I had to buy extra the above the table height adjuster tool. I think many of the Freud deals come with this bit of equipment. But you have that lift device, so maybe this is not an issue.

My only other router is a DeWalt kit with plunge and fixed bases (I think a 616) that I bought used from a friend with the EZ Smart router kit when I got my rail setup.

Happy with both, but by no means do they see production use.
    Last edited by Mark Kosmowski; 12-24-2008 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks again guys unfortunatly the freud will not work with my lift system Mark.

That is interesting Glenn about the soft start. I am going to have to ask about that one as that is going to be a huge concern with my system. I will post what I find out after Saturday.

Merry Christmas to all. Myself ,Janet, Tom and James wish everyone the best of the season. Please all be safe over the season.