Router ??

Drew Watson

My PC 690 router has just bit the bullet and I am looking to upgrade. I have the Jessup lift so my options are a bit limited to a 2 1/4 hp max limit. the models that will fit the lift are the PC 890 series, Bosh 1618 series, Dewalt 618series and Milwaukee 5619 series. I have read a few reviews on a couple of these models and have experience with the PC brand, but Dewalt has an excellent 3 yr warranty. Would any one have personal experience with any of these models that they would be willing to share?

Thanks
Drew

All the brands you mention are good and liked by many folks. As the router will be in a lift, a lot of the "feel" factor goes away as far as a best choice for you. Normally I would say height adjustment would be most important but you have that handled with the lift. Take a look at the collets as this is the part of the router you will be dealing with the most in your situation.

For example, here is a Milwaukee 56xx on the right and a DeWalt 618 on the left:

collet-compare-1.jpg BTW, the rust came on the DeWalt right out of the box; no extra charge.

I prefer a two wrench solution in the table as I don't have to deal with a locking button although some routers have auto-locking spindles that are good, some not so good. Variable speed is a must in a table if you will have any variety to speak of in your bit diameters used. A large paddled switch that can get hit without releasing your work is good as well but you may already have that covered and besides . . . I'm wandering.

I have Bosch, Milwaukee and even Ryobi routers but I reach for the Mil's first. 5615 fixed speed with an offset base for small edge bits, 5616 for plunge and VS hand work, 5625 in the table. The others get used but not as much. YMMV :thumb:.

Last edited:
...I prefer a two wrench solution in the table as I don't have to deal with a locking button ... I have Bosch, Milwaukee and even Ryobi routers but I reach for the Mil's first. 5615 fixed speed with an offset base for small edge bits, 5616 for plunge and VS hand work, 5625 in the table. The others get used but not as much. YMMV :thumb:.

The Milwaukee wrenches are real wrenches, too - not just stamped sheet metal. I really like that.

I have two P-C 690s (D-handle and plunge), a Hitachi kit (fixed & plunge) another P-C plunge who's number I don't recall (the one that has had all the broken switch problems), a Mulwaukee 5615, and I keep a Hitachi M12V in the table full time.

My 'go to' routers are the 5615 and the 690 D-handle. I probably end up using them for 75+% of everything.

The 5615/5616 bodies ought to fit the Jessem lift. I'd be very inclined to go that route - probably the 5616, since it's variable speed. Otherwise, a new 890.

Thanks guys for all the info of your experiences.

Glenn, I have only known the two wrench method a s well, All the new ones seem to have the spindle locks on them.

Bill. the Lift is a model 02302. I have an external variable speed control that is fantastic and I wouldn't go any other way. Mostly I use my router in the table at present but that may be changing.

Jim, Yes I am swaying more towards the PC 890 and I found a good sale on them at a local tool store. I didn't realise that Dewalt owns PC. So same warranty as the dewalt.

I have an external variable speed control that is fantastic and I wouldn't go any other way.

You can double check but, I believe your external control is not well suited for routers with soft start. Your documentation will tell you. Just a heads up as the Mil VS motors are soft start and electronic feedback. Both features dislike external VS controls. ;)

I haven't used or even seen / handled one, but there are some deals available of Freud 2.25 HP units still.

Best of luck with your decision!

My first router, which is now in the table more or less all the time, is a PC 8529 plunge. I had to buy extra the above the table height adjuster tool. I think many of the Freud deals come with this bit of equipment. But you have that lift device, so maybe this is not an issue.

My only other router is a DeWalt kit with plunge and fixed bases (I think a 616) that I bought used from a friend with the EZ Smart router kit when I got my rail setup.

Happy with both, but by no means do they see production use.

Last edited:
Thanks again guys unfortunatly the freud will not work with my lift system Mark.

That is interesting Glenn about the soft start. I am going to have to ask about that one as that is going to be a huge concern with my system. I will post what I find out after Saturday.

Merry Christmas to all. Myself ,Janet, Tom and James wish everyone the best of the season. Please all be safe over the season. :thumb:

Well got lots more info on the routers today. Tomorrow is the buying day as the store that I deal with stays closed through Christmas and boxing day. The dewalt package DW618B3E is a discontinued line so that perks my ears up as to Why? The barrel is awful short as well and that might cause some problems in my lift system. Non of the new 2 1/4 systems will work with my external variable speed controler due to the electronic variable speed that comes standard built into the new ones. So I have some modifying of my router table to do. I looked at upgrading the entire unit and i think in time I will upgrade to a full 3.5 hp Milwakee unit for my table and keep the 2 1/4 hp unit for the bench work. I hear that the 3.5 units are a bit awkward to handle outside of the table. I am looking at the PC 891 units again as they are almost the same as the old 690 that i use to have and I never had one complaint about that unit. The only problem that I see is the collet locking system as it turns off the router every time you change bits. I can see that being a pain. I will be asking more info about the bosch system as well. Thanks for all the input from you guys in regards to this issue. You have given me more to think about in regards to this choice that I have to make.

Drew