Thread: Beall Pen Wizard

Beall Pen Wizard

Well, I bought a "Pen Wizard". Tried it out Monday while I had the school shop open for students to finish Christmas gifts (we are on break). It is amazing and does wonderful things to pen barrels quite easily. I know, no pictures it didn't happen. Here is what it is I am talking about.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/lathewiz.php

I put the squiggley lines on the pen barrels for my niece and nephew's pens for Christmas. Will post pictures of pens after school starts.

Anyone else have one, if so what are your experiences with this tool?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Interesting tool. Watched the video and was impressed as to how easy it appeared to be. I would be interested is how he filled the grooves with epoxy.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

looks like a very neat niche tool there, bet a few clones show up in some pen-turning shops however.
    -Ned

That is a pretty cool tool although a little expensive I thought for just doing pens.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    Well there you go again putting a challege to your students. At least I figure that they with be trying it in the future. You have to be great and dedicated teacher to open the shop for your students. I remember having a shop teacher that was the same way. I see him once in great while and still apperciate him for his dedication. Now you can make false tissler pens.

Royall, actually I looked at some finger nail polish at Wally World while there with my wife and daughter. Didn't buy any yet, figure the girls have some old polish I can experiment with first. Figure to fill the groove with the polish then the white hut friction polish bar.

Ned, actually he (Mr. Beall) invented the lathe wizard that is out of production and this is the improved version (from what I glean over at IAP). About the only other competitor is the Legacy lathe of which I just haven't had the $ to purchase one with.

Bernie, figure I have $300 invested. Eventually I think it can add $5.00 to a pen's value. Thus after 60 pens it has paid for itself. Can think of many tools I have purchased that I have never anticipated earning any dollar value back, only personal pleasure.

Rex, don't know if I qualify for the "great and dedicated" teacher bit. Just enjoy what it is I do and the vast majority of the kids I deal with. We all have our days, but that is part of being human. I grew up wanting NOTHING to do with school. But shoeing horses since I was 14 really killed my back, so combined the things I enjoyed, working with kids, agriculture and whallaaaa. So sometimes, I understand where these frustrated kids come from more than a traditional teacher that all through school wanted to be a teacher. Plus, if I keep their hands and minds busy, they have less time to get in trouble and are easier to keep on task!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING