Last Minuet Hollow Form

Alan Trout

Here are a few pics of a last minute hollow form. I started it on my mini a couple of months ago but it got moved to the side when I started building my stand for my DVR. I was short of presents so I decided yesterday to finish this on my DVR. It is going to my sister in law. It is about 5"x5" and scary thin. Not that I intended to do that, it was just the way this one went. Of course it is spalted flame Boxelder. Sprayed with several coats of lacquer and then wet sanded to 2000 and left at that. I like the feel and the soft almost polished glow that it leaves. I guess I have a thing for the Indian shape post.

Again sorry for the poor photos. You know last minute.

Merry Christmas

Alan

Attachments

• Hollow form pic 1.jpg
    Hollow form pic 1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 42
  • hollow form pic 2.jpg
    hollow form pic 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Hollow Form Pic 3.jpg
    Hollow Form Pic 3.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
  • hollow form pic 4.jpg
    hollow form pic 4.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 30
AHH.............AHH............AHH..........WOW for sure :eek: Incredible piece of wood Alan. Let alone the spectacular turning :thumb: Superb!!!! I just dont know where you all find wood like that. WOW

Tom

Alan, that's just beautiful - gorgeous piece of wood. Can I be your sister-in-law for about 10 minutes---just long enough for you to box that up and address it to me. :D;):rolleyes:

Alan, the turning is very nice, but that wood :eek:

Man alive, there is so much going on there it is hard to imagine, and I bet in person it looks even better!

I agree with Nancy, can I be your sister-in-law too :D :wave:

PS how are you finding the new stand?

Thanks all. The stand is working out great. I love it. It is as stable as any lathe Ive used. Far as the wood. It was given to me by a friend that a tree guy cut down in his neighborhood. I have another piece that will become something one day. My friend made most of it into pen blanks. I am thankful for being able to save a couple of small pieces for bowls/hollow forms etc. I have several tree guys keeping there eyes open for me on the Boxelder. It is pretty common trash tree in this neck of the woods and from my understanding much is flame and rotted and spalted. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Stu, you are right it is a fabulous piece of wood I wish I could take a picture to do it justice.

Again everyone have a very merry Christmas.

Alan

Last edited: