Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oilstones - containing the mess

Oilstones - containing the mess

Hi

I've been a Japanese water stone user since the early 80's. I plan to keep using them for certain certain situations (fast removal of metal), but I've switched to oilstones for the most part.

What I'd like is to see is how oilstone users set up a honing station (pics very welcome), and how you deal with the dirty oil produced.

I have a 3 stone setup and I'm thinking along the lines of a cookie sheet screwed to a melamine shelf. Then a cleat on the bottom of the whole setup to secure it in my bench vise.

I thought I'd tap your brains before heading off to re-invent the wheel
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

Large amounts of oil are not required so 'mess' is minimal. I just let it happen and wipe up afterwards.

Me Too

I do the same as Frank. I find water stones more of a mess myself. That could be the operator though. I have my oilstones on a piece of plywood with "U" shaped pieces of wood around each end. The stones are loose enough so I can turn them around or over easily to even out the wear. I also have a cleat on one bottom edge to hook onto my bench. Sorry, no pics though.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Thanks Guys

Yup, I agree, it doesn't have to be a big soupy mess. I'm still leaning toward my cookie sheet idea -- it's not like I bake very often It might be gilding the lily a bit, but it'll be pretty much the same as mounting them on plywood, but with a bit of sheet metal in the sandwich. I'll add wooden cleats to anchor the stones in place.

Cookie sheet number 2 might become the permanent home for the lapping plate I bought from LV. That sucker needs a fair bit of oil, as it collects in the slots and seeps out continuously.

And yes, water stones are very messy. That and the fact they need truing up so often is why I made the switch to oilstones. And oil/iron makes a friendlier combination than water/iron.

Please, don't anyone turn this into a debate about sharpening methods. Really, we've all seen that movie often enough (and I don't mean you, Frank or Don)
    All the best,
    Ian G

I use a Half sheet pan. It's got a lip of about an inch all around with a rolled top edge.

It works pretty good, whether I'm using oil or water stones, or most often, my diamond stones.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

boy ian those camra's are either broke or out of film(old days) or memory cards are full.. still no pics,, come on folks inquirru minds need pics we cant read well
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Ian, no chance of a debate from me. Personally, my quest for the best sharpening method has been more elusive than a search for the Holy grail would be.

Oh, and as far as oil stones go, I bought one of those 'Tri cornered' stones that comes with a plastic box.

Just wipe it, oil it, sharpen, turn 60 degrees, repeat, put the lid back on and your done....

Triple Stone

Mine is something like this, but I've had it so long I can't remember where I got it. Mine is all plastic.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

No pics, didn't happen :(

Hey Larry

If I posted any pics right now they'd just have a cookie sheet in them! And a fella like you probably knows what one of those looks like

Ok, lemme get my tea and I'll come back later with "The Cookie Sheet: A Photo Essay".

Thanks for the replies, Brent. I figure I have about enough stones now to hold me for this lifetime, but one of those 3 sided things would be a good idea for anyone starting fresh. A real space saver. Can you flip a stone over on a rig like that? To use the other face, I mean.

No, Frank, I didn't think you'd start a debate, but you can never tell when one might break out I don't want to be responsible for setting off one of those in my first week back! Which way to the dust collection forum fellas?
    All the best,
    Ian G

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gillis View Post
    one of those 3 sided things would be a good idea for anyone starting fresh. A real space saver. Can you flip a stone over on a rig like that? To use the other face, I mean.
    I think you can, at least on mine. It's really a pretty simple affair, with some screws holding a plate that holds the stones to a triangle. If you have a number of similar sized stones, It'd be pretty easy to put together something similar, I'd guess.

Like many, I find sharpening to be an elusive skill to master and in my quest I've acquired quite a few stones and gadgets to help me attain that skill.

I think it's just one of those things that can probably be taught, but many of us just plug along until we find what works for us.