Oilstones - containing the mess

Toni and Frank

Hi Guys

Toni, never apologise for offering an opinion -- that's what forums are for. You're right about vegetable oils getting gummy and clogging up a stone. I'm not having a problem with that now because I'm using the stones almost every day. I also wipe them down before leaving the shop. I'm always trying new things and I'll abandon the olive oil if it causes problems.

I've found that olive oil is too thick for the translucent stone. The tool seems to float in the oil. That stone has a glass-like surface and needs a thinner oil. I found some light sewing machine oil in my house and that works very well.

Frank, thanks for the offer. I picked up a soft white stone on eBay for a pretty good price. I'm sure you could have made a more informed choice for me, but I'm happy enough with I've got for now.

I don't think I'll be needing any more stones for a long while, but I'll consult with you if I do.

Hi Guys

Toni, never apologise for offering an opinion -- that's what forums are for. You're right about vegetable oils getting gummy and clogging up a stone. I'm not having a problem with that now because I'm using the stones almost every day. I also wipe them down before leaving the shop. I'm always trying new things and I'll abandon the olive oil if it causes problems.

I've found that olive oil is too thick for the translucent stone. The tool seems to float in the oil. That stone has a glass-like surface and needs a thinner oil. I found some light sewing machine oil in my house and that works very well.

Frank, thanks for the offer. I picked up a soft white stone on eBay for a pretty good price. I'm sure you could have made a more informed choice for me, but I'm happy enough with I've got for now.

I don't think I'll be needing any more stones for a long while, but I'll consult with you if I do.

I really should be better informed on the Arkansas stones. I believe the soft is a mottled black/gray/muddy-white color. Soft? white? If an Arkansas stone, that would be middle range, usually harder and fairly fine.
Truth is, I'm not a huge fan of Arkansas stones and rarely use them. When I go to primitive reenactments, I make sure all my knives are sharp before I leave home. If I need to sharpen in camp, I'll use diamond inside my lodge (tent) where no one can see me. :eek: But, I do sell and trade them sometimes.

Took a look in my stone stash and was surprised to find I have only one soft Arkansas stone. It is used, is 2"X4"X1/2". If you are interested, I guarantee you will like the price.
eBay? I'll take a look and see what prices they bring there. I have several whites I wouldn't mind selling.

Attachments

• Ark stone.jpg
    Ark stone.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 7
thread hijack

With apologies, talking about Arkansas stones.
I note the word/name "Washita" being used for these stones.
Correctly, it is Ouachita. Still pronounced 'wash-it-ah'.
Don't ask me what happened to pronouncing the 's' at the end of Arkansas. I know, just don't ask. ;)
BTW, I think that guy selling them on eBay is kinda high with his prices. But, if he gets it, hurrah for free enterprise.

Washita/Soft White Arkansas

Hi Frank

The stone I just bought was described as soft white Arkansas. It was a cream colour with some mottling before I put some oil and steel on it. Now it looks very much like the stone in your photo.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=360107521504

It cost me about CAN $16.00 landed in my mailbox. US $8.99 for a 1 1/2" x 7" x 1/2" stone seems reasonable to me. It costs me close to 10 bucks just to drive into Lee Valley and back. I'm happy with the deal.

Thanks for offering that nice wide stone -- I bet it's great for long kitchen knives. At this point, however, buying any more honing stones would just be overkill here. I have a couple of broken stones that came in boxes of mixed tools that I'm going to make slips with. Then I'll be able to say I'm completely stoned ;)

The snow is swirling outside, so I'm not going anywhere today. Just back down to the shop to try to file a badly treated Harvey W. Peace 6pt cross cut saw back into shape and then get cutting out parts for my saw benches/tables. (I think the old timers around here call them saw stools.)

Tea first -- work later :)

Happy Sunday!