I scream, you scream, we all scream, for Ice Cream

Frank the ones I have seen looked like the shank that fit into the wood was pretty short. Me being impatient when it comes to ice cream, I was afraid I would split the handle right off of the scoop!!:rofl::rofl:
Maybe there is more to assembly that I am missing since I haven't put one together. So, you have used one and it feels secure and useable in a fast, ice cream right out of the freezer situation?:dunno:

Frank the ones I have seen looked like the shank that fit into the wood was pretty short. Me being impatient when it comes to ice cream, I was afraid I would split the handle right off of the scoop!!:rofl::rofl:
Maybe there is more to assembly that I am missing since I haven't put one together. So, you have used one and it feels secure and useable in a fast, ice cream right out of the freezer situation?:dunno:

well most folks have more patience than that jon but it does look like a great school project and something all could use..

great come back frank:rofl::thumb:

Always thinking Larry, always thinking.

Frank,

Those are *very* cool. Nice work!

Thanks,

Bill

Thank you Bill!

Good point Jonathan. The shank isn't very long, maybe 1 1/2". The instructions call for a 3/8" hole which does allow the shank to 'slip' in. Some reviewers said to drill a smaller hole, but, with a good epoxy the little bit of extra space allows for enough glue to hold it in place. I drilled a 3/8" hole and used enough gap filling CA to flood the hole and 'pour' over the top. I wiped up the extra glue after allowing it to seal the end of the handle. The shank is cast with a good rough surface, lots of gluing surface.

I think you have a good mental picture of assembly; drill the hole, fill with glue slip in the scoop. [[Note: slip the ferrule on first, it doesn't fit over the scoop.]]

I was thinking if you tend to like hand-packed ice cream, frozen in the coldest place on Earth, you may run into a problem. In this case you could drill and tap the end of the shank, drill through the end of the handle, screw a long screw into the end of the shank, epoxy the hole, and fit a wooden 'button' on the end of the handle.

I haven't used any of the scoops yet Jonathan. I'm betting the Kingwood and Maple will hold up well, the Myrtle is a 'light' wood, looks nice, but it isn't heavy duty. The B&W Ebony, while nice, just is so so.

well most folks have more patience than that jon but it does look like a great school project and something all could use..

Larry, Jonathan is a saint in my eyes. His patience with the kids at school will last them a lifetime. He is teaching far more than woodworking; he is teaching them they have the capability to produce something of value and that they are part of a larger universe then their home town. My hat is off to Jonathan.

Any body that knows any thing about ice cream knows that the handle is just for looks:thumb: If you don't keep your fingers behind the scoop part the handle will just come off.:doh: Or in the case of a spoon just bend like all the ones I have:doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

One could always use this: (I could make a handle for it.)

jackhammer_60lb_electric.jpg

Frank, you keep saying nice things like that I'll go broke! Cowboy hats are expensive and talk like that could cause a feller's head to swell! :rofl::rofl:
I'm not doing anything different than hundreds of other teachers, I just was lucky enough to find a family to share my student's work with and who seem to appreciate it.

By the way Chuck, have a few spoons in the drawer that look like that also!!!!

Thank you Jon!

Jonathan I do have great respect for you and the work you are doing. Teachers really do hold the key to the future. If America wants to remain strong in the World's economy we need to continue investing in our children's future. I consider a swollen head a small price to pay. :clap:

Larry, Jonathan is a saint in my eyes. His patience with the kids at school will last them a lifetime. He is teaching far more than woodworking; he is teaching them they have the capability to produce something of value and that they are part of a larger universe then their home town. My hat is off to Jonathan.

hey frank i was jist pullin jons chain he knows my fellings and i have also stated them publically here.. so dont worry about me bashun him he on my top ten list too.. :thumb::thumb: beside i want to see him in a hoss cartwright hat:D

Well... I'm a bit late for this thread but I want to catch up with it.
Those are a first class ice cream spoons, if I had one of them I wonder if I would dare to use it or just show it off...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I got 'ya covered Larry, thanks.

Thank you Toni. I was wondering if I should make a stand for each one of them; that way they could be displayed. But then again a stand involves 'flat work'. I am "above" flat work". :rofl:

Hey, bring them on over. LOML got me 5 pints of Blue Bell for my stocking stuffer that we can sample. Part of her 12 days of Christmas theme. These were the 5 golden rings. :thumb:
Those are nice. Jim.

Boy, at the price of Blue Bell here in TN, those rings may be real gold...

I miss my Blue Bell, but on SS, it's outside the budget and with the wife's diabetes, we stay away from too much sugar anyway.

I got 'ya covered Larry, thanks.

Thank you Toni. I was wondering if I should make a stand for each one of them; that way they could be displayed. But then again a stand involves 'flat work'. I am "above" flat work". :rofl:

Ehem, ehem... Frank, I'm pretty sure that you could make a turned stand if you wanted, in this way you could keep your "above" flatwork status:rofl::rofl:

if you can't ... well I guess I would be deceived....:(:):):):D:D

I guess we only live once Chuck. There are some very good "ice creams" with low fat and low sugar. My local grocery store, 'store brand' is very good and a whole lot less expensive than the fancy sounding ones.

Eating ice cream, whether it be high or low in calories, is a summer time treat.

Actually Toni I would like to do some work off the lathe, many of you on this site remain an inspiration to me.

Those are all great Frank. I just ordered some for Christmas gift as well. I hope we dont draw each others names!! Well done :thumb::clap: