PM 3520b Bowl Rest Quality Control Issue?

Rich Boehlke

I have a Powermatic 3520b on order. Also ordered were some additional items one of which is the the RH Bowl Rest pn.6294740. The lathe has not yet been delivered but the tool rest has. I was disappointed when it was unpacked. It is a rather rough casting with numerous pinholes. The paint finish is ugly, not the color but the quality. The working surface is not machined. At a price of $89, it was the most expensive bowl rest in Woodturners catalog and definitely not worth that price IMHO. My expectations far exceeded the product. I really hope the lathe quality is not the same as this bowl rest A couple photos are attached. Anyone have this rest? Does it look like the photos?

Did I get some kind of PM knockoff or am I missing someting here?

Attachments

• lrMG_3098.jpg
    lrMG_3098.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 82
  • lrMG_3100.jpg
    lrMG_3100.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 91
Hi Rich,

I didn't care for the rest either. I use the curved ones from Oneway for bowls and I had a machine shop make a 1" straight one for me out of bar.

With some filing on the top, it will probably be OK. But, the $89.00 price really puts me off. I'm sure I could get a reasonable copy made up at a local welding shop for $10 to $20.

Having spent many hours repair welding casting like that at my old job my advice would be to return it. It looks like it didn't have a chance to outgas completely. The sand mold was probably a poor one also. Sometimes sand comes loose from the mold and makes pockets inside the casting. Each pinhole you see is a stress point and the pinholes you can't see are the ones to worry about. The further away from the post you get, the greater the stress on the casting. I wouldn't want to be using it inside a big bowl and have the end snap off. Do like the others and get a One-way or have one made. Any good weld shop should be able to make you one that would be better than that one in the photo. No, I don't weld at home.
Dale

Thanks to all for your input. This thing will certainly be returned. I just can't help wondering what WMH is thinking when they produce something like this. Their products as a rule are top notch.
The Oneway rests look like the way to go.

If anyone is still interested, I complained directly to WMH re. the low quality of their curved tool rest. They requested the photos which I sent, the same ones in this post. Their final reply was:

"Rich,
Per our Quality Control Department...

Since this is a cast part, it's going to have some pitting and dings.
It isn't going to be perfectly smooth.

Aundrea Berkey

Internet Customer Support

Order Entry Representative

WMH Tool Group

Makers of POWERMATIC(r), JET(r), and WILTON(r) products"

I was really disappointed since the tool rests from my old Craftsman were of far better fit and finish. So I guess the moral of the story is, Powermatic still makes a fine lathe but get your tool rests from another manufacturer. I have since bought rests from Oneway and Robust both of which are of superior quality at a more reasonable price.

Rich, I have the same rest, and don't use it for a couple reasons. As you noted, it's really pretty crudely cast. As Frank mentioned, it can be smoothed out with a file, but even then, the shape of the rest and radius of the curves doesn't lend itself to being used on any of the shapes I've turned. It's difficult to describe, but the rest seems to get in the way of the tool more than support it. If I were you, I'd see if I could return the curved rest for a refund.

Fear not, though. I suspect you'll be a lot happier with the lathe than the tool rest. ;) Congrats!

By the way, I just noticed you're from Pinetop. That's one of my favorite places in the country. :thumb: I spent a couple summers working in the White Mountains years ago.

Rich, this type of action on the part of a big brand never ceases to amaze me. Its arrogance in my opinion. One day competition that looks at all the details and does not ride on the coatails of a single feature will get the better of them. Then we will all be asking what happened to PM as if the tai/chi market blew a hole in them.

When one looks at the aftermarket tool rests one can buy or as I am into a mode of make your own, I would nitpickingly follow Vaughns suggestion and get my money back for it. Then buy a bunch of steel and make a bunch of rests to suit. You can always paint them the same color if you really worried about matching. But to me there is a principle here that needs to be driven home.

Best of luck, I support you in feeling mad.:mad:

By the way, I just noticed you're from Pinetop. That's one of my favorite places in the country. :thumb: I spent a couple summers working in the White Mountains years ago.

Yep, got my money back. Craft Supplies has been pretty good to deal with, no questions and no hassles over the return.

Vaughn, If you should ever find your way back to the White Mountains, give me a holler.

Rich

Glad to hear it. That's too much money to tolerate bad quality.
Find a local welding shop, sketch up what you want, and I'll betcha you can get a couple rests custom made for less money.

Rich

You will be very happy with the quality of your new lathe - you will be pleased. I got the Oneway inside and outside bowl rests also and they are top quality. Have a ball with it.

Jack

Remember it is only high voltage if you touch it!!!