Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redneck Workshop

Redneck Workshop

I thought I'd take a moment to show you my little Southwest GA workshop. Yes...this is redneck to a great extent, but it's better than nothing, which is what I had before

First, allow me to show you my find workshop from the outside. This is one of the finest workshops one can purchase at one's local Wal-Mart:

Yes...it really came from Wal-Mart. It's nestled into a corner on my back porch. The wall jutting across the back is the wall between my back porch and the adjoining back porch. However, since one half of this duplex is mine, and the other is my Mom's, I don't have to worry about the neighbors getting annoyed

Now I take you inside to show you my fancy workbench. Yes, this took me a grand total of 12 minutes to put together.

I had to tote the boards all the way from the front of the house to the BACK! Yes, that was a time consuming process! However, one bench is never truly enough. Now, I present to you my "fancified" bench!

Yep, the good old Black & Decker Workmate. It's my primary work holding tool at this point!

And, I have a security system as well! Yes, a high tech and take-no-prisoners security system:

That's my dog Sierra. She's a sweetie to us...but to those who aren't supposed to be around? She can be vicious!

Seriously, this is what I'm starting with. Most of my tools are handheld power tools or hand tools. I plan on getting bench top power tools instead of full stationary models simply because they have to be put away. The exception being the bandsaw I hope to get. It'll be the work horse of this shop.

So, I hope you enjoyed the tour, and if nothing else, I hope it makes you thankful for walls

Tom

Great tour Tom! Bigger than my first one (apartment balcony), much more organized, and you've even got a shop dog. Even today I keep my bbq in the shop, just roll it outside to do some cooking while I'm woodworking.

Thanks for the tour.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks Darren. As for space, it was either this or a 6'x6' storage room. Yeah, I think I made the right decision

Great tour. I didn't start with much more. I still have an adjustable work bench thingy made of mdf bought from Sears Roebuck over 35 years ago. Enjoy yer shop and tools.

Thanks Frank. I did my first two projects with even less, so I can't help but figure that this is bound to be better

of course, my first two projects were small

WOW Tom , I guess yours is better than noting . I am lucky to have walls as you have said ..................Marshall........................

Nothing wrong with that Tom!

I have a sun room on my "shop" which is just a way over stuffed 1 car garage. Everything is on wheels as the driveway is the work area for anything of size.

My buddy Dan, who's from Alabama BTW, dubbed it the "Alabama Sun room".

Here's a pic milling up 1000 FL of T&G from 16' 2"X6" for an addition roof. Note to self, milling 1000lf of T&G from 2"X6" is a stupid idea... check out the fan blowing on the motor to keep it cool so it won't trip the thermal overload. Maybe that's why that TS died. Turned into the perfect opportunity for an upgrade!

Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f14629611.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	27106

Marshall: You're luckier than you know!

It's OK though...I'll be getting walls and a roof at some point, because I know I'll be annoyed enough to say "enough's enough!"

Mike: Hey, I don't feel so out of place now

Seriously, I figured "what the heck". Some new guy could come around, wish he could woodwork but figures he can't because he doesn't have a shop, and maybe the site of my "shop" might inspire him to become the next Sam Maloof or David Marks or something

OK, probably not likely, but it sounds good

Hey, that going outside isn't a bad deal. In fact, it is nice. One advantage to having my three pound tablesaw is that in summer I carry outside and work there. Fresh air, sunshine. Nice.

I used to do something similar, except I didn't have the EZ-up to keep the rain off. Strictly side yard woodworking, using the picnic table and workmate. couple of years later I started building my shop which Im still working on.
    -Ned