Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new Grizzly catalog and lathe

new Grizzly catalog and lathe

You know it's Christmas time when you get the new Grizzly catalog.
    Several new tools in it, and, as always, very interesting. Most notable, for me, there is a new, top end, EVS lathe in it, the G0694. Briefly, 20x43", 3hp 220v, 3 phase. Big, heavy (758 pounds) sum ba gun. Priced at $2,650.00, I believe it will give the fancy name brands (PM and up) a real challenge for the big lathe share of the market. It's not on the web site yet and I'm too lazy to scan a picture.
    I could have been tempted if it had been available when I got my G0632. BTW, the 0632 went up $200.00 to $1,425.00 since last years catalog. Sign of things to come?

Frank when you were talking about your new lath sometime back this it the one I thought you bought. This is the one that I said that the headstock does not have a through hole in it but is plugged. There was some talk about retooling it and this model may have the mod. Its was the one thing that turned me off form looking further at it. But it is an impressive Lathe and solid if they put a through hole in it then it will give the PM a run for its money big time.
    Jay

Your lucky that you received your new Grizzly catalog , guess I haven't ordered enough to receive a catalog . Guess they don't want my business............Marshall...........

You have to request the catalog... I've never bought anything from them, just drool over the pages.. and I get a new catalog every year.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    It's not on the web site yet and I'm too lazy to scan a picture.
    Honesty is always the best policy. Who can argue with it.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Border View Post
    Your lucky that you received your new Grizzly catalog , guess I haven't ordered enough to receive a catalog . Guess they don't want my business............Marshall...........
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    You have to request the catalog... I've never bought anything from them, just drool over the pages.. and I get a new catalog every year.
    I don't guess they want any of my business either. I got ONE catalogue a few years back, and then requested a new one each year for the next three years, but never received any catalogues or even a response from them.

I finally gave up.

All of that and then they throw a Mickey Mouse tool rest into the mix. I can see that snapping off with a decent sized catch.

What are the thoughts on a stepped lathe bed, I've always thought that if their going to step the bed just make the whole bed that height. I've always thought the step was to narrow.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    What are the thoughts on a stepped lathe bed, I've always thought that if their going to step the bed just make the whole bed that height. I've always thought the step was to narrow.
    "stepped"? Do you mean the gap? I believe lots, maybe most, of the high end lathes have some kind of step/gap/cut-out for doing really big bowls.
    Never appealed to me. But, then, I have never used one. And, I suppose, without it, doing big bowls or platters would require the bed to be about knee level and the spindle over our heads. Requiring removing the tailstock and sliding the head to the end to use an add-on, dropped bed, doesn't appeal to me.
    Haven't used this one either. But, considering it is thousands of dollars less than many, this method may be one of the compromises.

Got my catalog yesterday. Looks like a nice machine. No comment on the step issue, but looks like one could do *really* big bowls from the left side of the headstock. Not thrilled about the step pulleys, but I guess they make sense. It's all academic anyway, since it'll be a cold day in heck before I have that kind of cabbage for a lathe!

Thanks,

Bill