new Grizzly catalog and lathe

Frank Fusco

You know it's Christmas time when you get the new Grizzly catalog.:santa:
Several new tools in it, and, as always, very interesting. Most notable, for me, there is a new, top end, EVS lathe in it, the G0694. Briefly, 20x43", 3hp 220v, 3 phase. Big, heavy (758 pounds) sum ba gun. Priced at $2,650.00, I believe it will give the fancy name brands (PM and up) a real challenge for the big lathe share of the market. It's not on the web site yet and I'm too lazy to scan a picture.
I could have been tempted if it had been available when I got my G0632. BTW, the 0632 went up $200.00 to $1,425.00 since last years catalog. Sign of things to come?

Frank when you were talking about your new lath sometime back this it the one I thought you bought. This is the one that I said that the headstock does not have a through hole in it but is plugged. There was some talk about retooling it and this model may have the mod. Its was the one thing that turned me off form looking further at it. But it is an impressive Lathe and solid if they put a through hole in it then it will give the PM a run for its money big time.
Jay

Your lucky that you received your new Grizzly catalog , guess I haven't ordered enough to receive a catalog . Guess they don't want my business............Marshall...........:huh:

Your lucky that you received your new Grizzly catalog , guess I haven't ordered enough to receive a catalog . Guess they don't want my business............Marshall...........:huh:

You have to request the catalog... I've never bought anything from them, just drool over the pages.. and I get a new catalog every year.

I don't guess they want any of my business either. I got ONE catalogue a few years back, and then requested a new one each year for the next three years, but never received any catalogues or even a response from them.:huh::dunno:

I finally gave up.:rolleyes:

All of that and then they throw a Mickey Mouse tool rest into the mix. I can see that snapping off with a decent sized catch.

What are the thoughts on a stepped lathe bed, I've always thought that if their going to step the bed just make the whole bed that height. I've always thought the step was to narrow.

"stepped"? Do you mean the gap? I believe lots, maybe most, of the high end lathes have some kind of step/gap/cut-out for doing really big bowls.
Never appealed to me. But, then, I have never used one. And, I suppose, without it, doing big bowls or platters would require the bed to be about knee level and the spindle over our heads. Requiring removing the tailstock and sliding the head to the end to use an add-on, dropped bed, doesn't appeal to me.
Haven't used this one either. But, considering it is thousands of dollars less than many, this method may be one of the compromises.

Got my catalog yesterday. Looks like a nice machine. No comment on the step issue, but looks like one could do *really* big bowls from the left side of the headstock. Not thrilled about the step pulleys, but I guess they make sense. It's all academic anyway, since it'll be a cold day in heck before I have that kind of cabbage for a lathe! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Was in the Springfield, MO Griz store today. I was picking up my bandsaw riser and wanted to look at the new G0694 lathe.
But, they don't have it in the store yet. Salesman, Ed, I spoke with said they sometimes get stuff announced before arrival on the slow boat from China. Oh, well.
Oh, well. I saved $10.00 on the riser, price goes up tomorrow. And, since we were there, I didn't have to pay shipping.

there is a new, top end, EVS lathe [...] the G0694. [...] It's not on the web site yet and I'm too lazy to scan a picture.

My 2009 Grizzly catalog arrived yesterday, so here ya go Frank. Gee ... at this price you'd think they would have tossed in the drill....

Grizzly2009_pg123_HobbyLathe.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously folks, here is a "thumbnail" of the new beast:

Grizzly2009_pg128_G0694Lathe_CloseUp.jpg

For a full-page scan, click [HERE].

I'll bet they sell a bunch of those drill powered hobby thingys.
For many years, before I had a real shop, my only drill presses were one of those affairs that holds a hand drill and an antique bench top hand crank Neanderthal jobby. Both got a lot of use for about 20 years. The powered one often stood in as a small lathe. I turned quite a few accessories for my muzzle loading passion on it from brass and steel. My tools were old and broken files. I also turned small wood objects, usually handles. Again, my tools were files and rasps so I could hold both ends, not having a rest.
Yeppers, the new big-un is impressive. Will be interesting to see how it impacts the market.

Seriously, I'm curious to see one of the big new lathes in person.
Have to admit, that over-bed tool rest looks like a weak link in the design to me.
On another forum, someone said (that doesn't make it fact) there is no thru hole in the spindle. I don't find this plausible since there, then, would be no way to knock out a spur drive or other MTs. And, it could not be used for vacuum chucks. I don't believe this rumor but remains to be seen.
On the upside, the lathe will allow outboard turning from the end and there is a heavy-duty tool rest built on for that. From the looks, the capacity would be somewhere around 40". That is impressive, indeed. And, 3 hp should do the job.
But, I'm kinda irked (can I say "irked" here? ;) ), this lathe comes with a nice big metal oval Grizzly emblem. And, the model lathes lower priced than my G0632 come with them also. But, mine doesn't. :eek: I don't think Shiraz likes me anymore. :( ;)

Just sent an email to Grizzly Customer Service. Asked if the spindle was solid or hollow and if solid how they intend for the user to remove the drive spur. We'll see what their response is.

I got a reply from Griz tech support that they had sent my request to the "appropriate department for further research".
Meaning, they don't know nuttin'.
Apparently, they are still waiting for the slow boat from China to arrive with the first ones.