new Grizzly catalog and lathe

I don't know about this one but last years model did not have a through hole in it and they said they were getting a lot of complaints about it. The one I look at on the show room floor in Springfield (again last years model) did not have a through hole.
Jay

I don't know about this one but last years model did not have a through hole in it and they said they were getting a lot of complaints about it. The one I look at on the show room floor in Springfield (again last years model) did not have a through hole.
Jay

Jay, I'm confused about what model you are referring to. The big new model is not in the store yet. The previous top-end model, the G0632 is the one I now have. It has a through hole in the spindle.
OK, thinking as I type. They had a big, cabinet style model with Reeves drive that was more expensive than the G0632 and looks kinda like the new G0694. That might have been whatcha saw. For the money, I couldn't see any advantages to having it over many others.

The previous top-end model, the G0632 is the one I now have. It has a through hole in the spindle.
OK, thinking as I type. They had a big, cabinet style model with Reeves drive that was more expensive than the G0632 and looks kinda like the new G0694. That might have been whatcha saw. For the money, I couldn't see any advantages to having it over many others.
I think the top end model that Jay talked about is G0456 that was reviewed in the FWW.http://www.teknatool.com/products/L...oodworking Heavy Duty Lathe Test_April 07.pdf
This was the 20" swing model. I think at that time your G0632 was not born yet.
IMO, the G0456 was a joke in modern lathe design history. Besides the "manicure callus attachment" in place of the handwheel, I think the placement of the tool rest also shows the lack of understanding of wood turning from Grizzly. The tool rest was on the right (wrong) side of the banjo. It prevents the tool rest getting close to the rim of the bowl when hollowing out a bowl near the capacity of the lathe. I don't see the advantage of putting the tool rest post on the right side instead of the left side.
b2a75e79.jpg

This picture is their new mini lathe which has the same design.
I do like my Grizzly 0555 band saw. It is not the best band saw, but it is a very good value because I didn't think I paid enough for the best. It is a bit underpowered. I know I have to live with it for the fair price I paid.
As a consumer who has nothing to sell, I would like to see more competition. Monopoly would allow them to raise the price. Jet and Powermatic has been having steeper price hike than their competitors. I would really like Grizzly pay more attention to their lathe design. Hire some wood turners to help them to develop the new lathes that turners want. Not just cloning others' old design and making some changes and call their new and improved. I think putting the tool rest post on the other side may be their thinking of erasing the evidence of cloning. Their engineers may not even know why certain parts has to be done certain way.
As we all know Nick Cook has been involved in Jet and Powermatic design and field testing. People has seen prototype lathes at his shop, some made in the market, some with modification and some don't. I have made suggestions to PaPa Grizzly through PM with other forum. I never got any reply. I hope you can reach the top with some constructive criticism.
I think they should have scrap the old gap bed design and give us a lathe that we want at a price we can afford. They can do it very well with their other equipment. Don't let wood lathes be the orphans and dragging the reputation of the whole company. Show some confidence in what they sell, match the warranty of the competitors.
If they decide to clone, clone the good one all the way. Don't turn a good into a bad.
If they don't want to hire outside help. At least send their designer / engineers to wood turning classes.
I think they are on the right track in some place, at least they are phasing out the odd size spindle thread. But they still have a lot to do with speed.

Sorry for the long rambling.
Frank, I think you can do more good to them by letting them know what they are not up to than talking about the good and ignoring the not so good IMO.

Gordon, your post is on point.
I appreciate the flattery by your implying that I am some kind of important link between us and the Grizzly company. I'm just a guy that can type.
But, I have had some success in reaching them. The company once sent me a $50.00 gift certificate as a thanks for bringing a discrepancy between the web site and print catalog to their attention. One of the their execs phoned me personally and we had about a 1 1/2 hour conversation. I think they do listen.
In defense, I'm not a spokesman for Grizzly. I call it as I see it. Most of the time my experiences with Grizzly tools are as you described with your G0555. (BTW I have one also) At the price, it delivers more bang for the buck than the competition. If you want bigger and/or more powerful, spend more money. Grizzly can accommodate you there also.
As for design defects like the tool rest, I have pointed out several in my posts. The one that still irritates me from the experience with my old, and first ever, lathe, a G1067Z, is the positioning of the speed control lever in it's highest speed. The lever sticks over into the field of work near the spindle. Stupid and should not have happened. And, this same insane feature is repeated on other models.
I have discussed several "irritants" with the design of my current lathe, the G0632. I'll cover them more fully when I write a full review of my experience with this model. BTW that review has been requested by several people here and on other forums.
Finally, I have said my comments about Griz, their service and their tools has been 90+% favorable because that is how I see it. I have also said that if things change I'll turn on them like a stepped on rattler. Truth is double-edged.

Thats the one Gordon.
It was a nice looking lathe that fell flat on it face when you stated looking it over real close.
The sanding disk on the outboard side had to be one of the bummest thing they could have done and then when I see there was no hole in the shaft :huh: well that ended it for me. :dunno:
Jay

Grizzly got back to me with some answers about the G0694.
They confirmed that it does not have a thru hole in the spindle.
It uses a hex nut system around MT tools to hold and release, similar to what is used on the model G0456 lathe. Pictures can be seen on page 6 of the parts manual for this model, they are parts 37 & 38. Unfortunately, since this lathe has been discontinued it is no longer on the web site. :(
So, even though the MT tools can be removed, they did confirm that vacuum chucks cannot be used on the G0694.
Since this is not a cheap tool and is, presumably, expected to compete with some high end name brands, I would call this a serious limitation. Not sure how it would affect my decision if I were considering purchasing.
The bed is machined cast iron.
No comment was made about the (seemingly) weakness in the tool rest design.