Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ash Radiator Covers

Ash Radiator Covers

I will start dressing/milling/preparing(new words for me) the ash either tomorrow or monday. Wood is picked out.I never worked with ash, but have cut and used white oak.I will make no attempt to match up grains running all the same ways or even that look alike. My wife loves the different grain patterns and random order.Although I dont see much in grain patterns in the rough wood, but Ive never used ash, so its new to me.
    I found some nice straight, flat pieces for the sides and maybe the top.(without having to do a glue up) If I cant get a flat enough piece in my own judgement once I start, Ill cut it up and joint and plane.(the mahogany I used on my table was so straight I never face jointed, didnt have the jointer then, but the ash isnt such as flat a lot. Im sure sittiing in the garage for months hasnt helped)
    Every edge will be jointed.

Again, I understand this is mostly childs play for most here, but this is a complicated build for me. Close to 50 M and T joints, and if one is off, it will knock off the entire piece.(Ill try at least 3 times, then Ill put the metal covers back on and watch college basketball for the rest of the winter)

This is the small one, less wood, hope to do it all with less than 20 board feet.(all 3/4 inch thick)

The ash will be stained and poly'd for finishing. Color will be decided later on.

I will line the inside with a heat deflecting substance, as suggested to me in another thread.

Heres what I hope to build, as close as I can draw. Numbers are on the side.
    Front face will be biscuited to side walls.(there is a 1/2 inch space between every slat to allow heat to escape, but close enough to hide ugly radiator)
    Top will be laid on top, with inside cleats holding in place, but not secured down, just close to snug with cleats.(half inch overhang on sides and front, flush in back)
    In back, I will add a 2 inch support piece going from side to side.

*my measurements say +1.5 on some, this is to remind me to allow 3/4 inch on each side for the tenon, I need to remind myself like this.(each square on the grid represents one inch)

If anyone sees a design flaw, please let me know within the next couple of days.I will greatly appreciate any help.Im winging it as usual.

whoa, huge error I wrote. Top is 9 and 1/4x 32 and 1/2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 440 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-28-2008 at 02:47 AM.

I also realize how unexciting a build like this is for most of the group here.
    Its challenging for me, and as I always say, if it puts anyone to sleep, I apologize.
    A quality solid wood cover runs anywhere from 400-800 bucks.
    I hope my 60 dollar investment in wood pays off.

Are the sides solid or will they have slats too?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

solid, but the back is completely open. I followed the design of the metal cover on there now.(and looked at hundreds of pics and many had solid sides)

Nothing wrong with the solid sides I'd think...heat rises.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

now that your avatar has the hat and noise maker, it sort of reminds me of a date I had in 1975 new years eve.
    I told her I was going to the bathroom 6 minutes before midnight and I ran for my life.(she had a nice personality)

I set up the machines this morning. Some solid advice, if ya wake up at 8:05 am, dont be in the garage at 8:10 am and lifting your tabletop planer by yourself onto a table. That sucker is ALOT heavier than it looks.

I reread the planer booklet, since I wasnt too thrilled with some of the mahogany planing I did.
    I made the mental notes like not to shave too much off at once, watch the width.........I ran through a piece of ash this morning, I hope my neighbor enjoyed it.Im glad dewalt makes a solid machine easy enough for a moron to operate and get beautiful results.

I have no clue if all the rest of what I have is ash, since in the rough, it looks nothing like what I planed.
    Heres a pic of the piece, I wanted to see what it looked like planed down before I leave for holiday festivities.(gotta go visit some of my staff since we had no down time)
    Some of the other stuff looks like it could be maple, Im really not sure.Piece on the left looks similar, the other shorter pieces look different. So do the longer pieces I have on the shelf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 441 (Medium).jpg  

allen the one on the right is ash all day long and the others with being skip planed are to tell but looks to be the same on the left the center???? run them threwe just to get them close and then let us see them.. just a smooth spot is all you need.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

looks like ash,looks the same, I ran it through the jointer and planer.

Its just a few shades darker, but the grain pattern is the same.

short board on right in pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 444 (Medium).jpg  

till this fall i would say that it didnt look righ,t but that big ash log i cut had some pink wood in it as well,, so if the grain matches allen and the end grain is the same then you must have some pink ash as well.. dont know what makes it pink.. some i had cut was pink enough to make me look twice at it when unlaoding, to make sure it wasnt cherry...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!