TPI on delta Midi?

Ned Bulken

Folks, what's the diameter and threads per inch on the delta midi headstock? I think I have to send back a christmas gift to get one that fits my unit. The gadget I received has 3/4" and iirc correctly that's not going to fit, am I right?

Ned,

I got the following on the Delta Midi Lathe LA 200 from the web:

SPECIFICATIONS

MOTOR:

• 1/2 HP, 120V, 1 Phase, 60 hz, 1725 RPM
SPINDEL SPEEDS:

• 500, 800, 1250, 1800, 2650, 3700
CAPACITIES:

• Swing over bed: 10" (254 mm)
  • Swing over base: 7-1/2" (191 mm)
  • Distance between centers: 14-1/2" (368 mm)
    • With extension: 37" (940 mm)
  • Drive spindle: 1" -8 RH thread
  • Drive spindle through hole: 3/8" (9.5 mm)
  • Head and tailstock taper: #2 MT
  • Tailstock through hole: 3/8" (9.5 mm)
  • Tailstock spindle travel: 1-1/2" (38 mm)
  • Tool rest: 6" (152 mm)
OVERALL DIMENSIONS:

• Length: 33-1/4" (845 mm)
  • Width: 11" (279 mm)
  • Height: 17-1/2" (445 mm)
WEIGHT:

• 85 lbs (39 kg)

Ditto Frank T. Get an adapter. Check out PSI and/or Amazon which sells the PSI cheaper than PSI even though they aren't expensive to start with. Follow that? :doh: And, I haven't even started on the egg nog yet. ;)

The Nova Midi Chuck is direct threaded. The Nova G3 and up use an insert that allows you to change spindle size.
Don't keep the 3/4" X 16 chuck. The standard for mini lathe has gone to 1" X 8 already. There is little chance that you will go back to the smaller size.
If lathe upgrade is in your future, you should look at the G3.
This chart shows the ranges of different Nova chucks.
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/Jaw_Sets/downloads/Min-Max%20Ranges%20Jaw%20Table%20(inch)Sep06.pdf

Ned, what do you actually need? I know the female for the lathe spindle needs to be 1"X8tpi. What does the male side need to be. I might be able to help. Gotta box full of 'stuff' here that might have just what ye need.

Sorry Frank. That is from the Lee Valley site for the full chuck, two sizes available. It looks like Ned received the first of the two (3/4" x 16 tpi), whereas his lathe uses the other (1" x 8 tpi). My guess is he would need a 3/4" x 16 tp to 1" x 8 tpi adapter.

But... because it is new, and he will never have runout with a 'direct' coupling between the chuck and spindle, he should exchange it.

Sorry Frank. That is from the Lee Valley site for the full chuck, two sizes available. It looks like Ned received the first of the two (3/4" x 16 tpi), whereas his lathe uses the other (1" x 8 tpi). My guess is he would need a 3/4" x 16 tp to 1" x 8 tpi adapter.

But... because it is new, and he will never have runout with a 'direct' coupling between the chuck and spindle, he should exchange it.

I don't have that flavor adapter/insert in my junk box enneyhow.
But....:huh:....you said,,,,"because it is new, and he will never have runout with a 'direct' coupling between the chuck and spindle, he should exchange it."
I don't understand what that means. :dunno:

I'll tell you Frank, I am book-learned only:

Spindle runout is the extent to which the spindle bore is not exactly concentric with the center of rotation. It is one of the most important factors in determining the overall accuracy of the lathe, since no cut can be made to a precision greater than the runout.
spindle_taper_runout.gif

So that being the case, if the chuck is directly attached to the spindle, only the spindle and chuck combination will affect runout. If we add an adapter between the spindle and chuck, we have all three affecting runout.

To be honest Frank, the "little bit" of engineer in me doesn't think an adapter is going to affect the quality of a wooden bowl or spindle, but since it is new, he can exchange it for the correct one for his lathe.

I'll tell you Frank, I am book-learned only:

Spindle runout is the extent to which the spindle bore is not exactly concentric with the center of rotation. It is one of the most important factors in determining the overall accuracy of the lathe, since no cut can be made to a precision greater than the runout.
spindle_taper_runout.gif

So that being the case, if the chuck is directly attached to the spindle, only the spindle and chuck combination will affect runout. If we add an adapter between the spindle and chuck, we have all three affecting runout.

To be honest Frank, the "little bit" of engineer in me doesn't think an adapter is going to affect the quality of a wooden bowl or spindle, but since it is new, he can exchange it for the correct one for his lathe.

Couldn'tja just say it might wobble? :rofl:
BTW, I don't use a fancy dial meter thingy on mine. I just use the 'rest a tool on top and watch for jump' technique. Even with the $15.00 adapters, my spinny runs true.