Where can I find a security allen wrench? FOUND!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Our church's projector is on the blink (no pun intended) and I need to send it off for service. When we mounted it I purchased a proprietary mount that came with 'security' allen screws. They are just like normal allen cap screws except they have a pin in the middle of the socket. I can't find the wrench that came with the mount and I need to take it off before I can ship it. A quick search of the net did not turn up any suppliers.

Any one have any idea where I can find one?:dunno: I think I need the 4mm size. I know we have a lot of computer savy members. I'm hoping one of you can steer me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Rennie I also brought some at Harbor Freight as Brent did , I priced around and decided to get them at Harbor ...they worked out just fine for me .....:thumb:.........Marshall.............:type:

If you need it right away, first try Fastenal in your area (open Monday). I don't know what city in Idaho you are at, but they have locations in Nampa, Mountain Home, Twin Falls Jerome, Burley, etc. It will be expensive, as one bit will probably cost close to the HF set. Check out their website.

Our church's projector is on the blink (no pun intended) and I need to send it off for service. When we mounted it I purchased a proprietary mount that came with 'security' allen screws. They are just like normal allen cap screws except they have a pin in the middle of the socket. I can't find the wrench that came with the mount and I need to take it off before I can ship it. A quick search of the net did not turn up any suppliers.

Any one have any idea where I can find one?:dunno: I think I need the 4mm size. I know we have a lot of computer savy members. I'm hoping one of you can steer me in the right direction.
Try a local plumbing supply store.

Rennie I also brought some at Harbor Freight as Brent did , I priced around and decided to get them at Harbor ...they worked out just fine for me .....:thumb:.........Marshall.............:type:

Harbor Freight did it for me. If you have a HF store nearby they will most likely be in stock.

I second the Harbor Freight solution. I have their set as well as a much more expensive set. That said they are widely available anymore.

Garry

If you need it right away, first try Fastenal in your area (open Monday). I don't know what city in Idaho you are at, but they have locations in Nampa, Mountain Home, Twin Falls Jerome, Burley, etc. It will be expensive, as one bit will probably cost close to the HF set. Check out their website.
You guys are great! Thanks. This is exactly what I need and now I know what I'll be doing on my lunch break tomorrow too!:thumb:

That's one of my guaranteed methods for finding something that is lost.

Just buy the replacement and the original will turn up....

Ahhh, That is one of the most important parts to get the method to work.

For irreplaceable items, Toni has taught me another trick that works, but it's not one that I would abuse lightly... :thumb: