Carved Plaques for over Doorways

Ed Nelson

Here a couple of plaques I made for Christmas presents this year. I couldn't post the sailboats earlier, since Dad may have taken a peek!:eek:

The first is done in red oak and was made for my Dad. The second is one of two of the same carving I made for the inlaws.

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Let me know what you think!

looks good ed how did you do the letters? can you get a close up on them.. have tried making a couple of signs myself and the type that you have was what i had on my last one.. but doesnt look as nice as yours.:thumb:

Very fine. Those will be loved and appreciated gifts for many years.
I think carving lettering is one of the most difficult types of carving there is. At least, my efforts have been more stinko than my other carving attempts.
FWIW, the sign below I had made for my gun shop in Indiana. It was done with a router. I don't recall if it was freehand or using templates. From the consistency of the letters, I believe he used a template. Not as nice as yours but another method. Hope you don't mind the little hijack.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 32
Thanks everyone!

looks good ed how did you do the letters? can you get a close up on them.. have tried making a couple of signs myself and the type that you have was what i had on my last one.. but doesnt look as nice as yours.:thumb:
The lettering is hand carved. I used bench chisels for the straight portions and a #5 fishtail for the serifs. Chris Pye has a helpful video about carved lettering that you may want to check into. As with everything else, it takes practice and I still have a ways to go!

Very fine. Those will be loved and appreciated gifts for many years.
I think carving lettering is one of the most difficult types of carving there is. At least, my efforts have been more stinko than my other carving attempts.
FWIW, the sign below I had made for my gun shop in Indiana. It was done with a router. I don't recall if it was freehand or using templates. From the consistency of the letters, I believe he used a template. Not as nice as yours but another method. Hope you don't mind the little hijack.
Thanks Frank. That's a good looking sign you had done! Interesting how he was able to get the serif to come up like he did.