Wood Lathe List

Ya know... to be fair I either need to delete the Wilton or add the Proxxon mini.

I mean, if I can include the Griz H2669 with a straight face... :rofl:

Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I think the Wilton is several hands taller than the Proxxon. Mine worked good enough to get me sucked into the vortex, and it's still running strong 3 or 4 years later. It's definitely got limitations, but it can produce good stuff. It only cost me $75 and a $25 Amazon gift certificate (caught it on sale back then), and I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

For someone doing miniature work, the Proxxon (and its collet system) might be just the ticket. I believe some of their other micro power tools are well-regarded by modelers.

And I think the Griz should be on the list, too. It barely qualifies as a lathe, but it'd be handy for a newbie to see how it stacks up (or doesn't, as the case may be) to a real lathe.

None of these would be much more than a pen or bottle stopper lathe, but hey, it's turning. :D

Hi Neal, I like the instructions you have on your site for building a basic donut chuck. I especially like the idea of having a block on the back that fits into your chuck. I didn't think of this when I built my first donut chuck and I always screwed a faceplate to it when mounting. Hooking it into the chuck makes much more sense. Thanks.

One question, what would be best type of glue to use for securing the block of wood to the donut chuck? I would really hate for that piece to come apart and then the entire bowl and donut chuck go flying across the room.

Thanks again!