Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pull Out SCMS Station.....?

Pull Out SCMS Station.....?

Well, as we wind down the year here, things have been really hectic, long hours, and busy too, which is good if you are in retail, like we are, but I'm thinking ahead here to January, when things slow down, and I'll get some time in on the Dungeon renovation so I can shoehorn the SawStop in place. One thing I'm going to do is move the jointer from under the main work table in the center of the workshop, to the West wall, it will reside under the SCMS station, which will be attached to the wall, and on a metal rack. The way things are going to work out, with the new SCMS, the Hitachi unit with the rails on the side, it will all be much closer to the wall, so if I want to cut anything on the SCMS that is of any length, I'll be running into Big Blue on the left, and the lathe on the right. To solve this problem, I'm contemplating a SCMS station that would slide out, away from the wall, say 12", maybe less, maybe more?

If any of you have something like this, or have a link to something like it, I'd really like to hear about it.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That sounds like a good inventive idea. Don't have anything to show you as my SCMS is on the portable aluminum stand DeWalt made and sold as an added benefit. A couple of 100# drawer slides? If the table on each side holds the weight of the wood? They would have to have some sort of stop or lock though for safety I would imagine. Glad to hear things were busy for you guys with your store.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Thanks Jonathan!

Chuck, no room, are you kidding

I won a used version of the saw I want on Yahoo tonight.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	to1048to69-img600x450-1230149601ca390607.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	27158 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	to1048to69-img600x450-1230149653ca390609.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	27159
    I paid just under half price of a new unit.
    This one has the worklight (which needs a new bulb) and the laser as well.

As you can see from the design, this unit can be put almost against the wall, which will give me another 10" of space in the middle of the workshop, which will be a VERY welcome addition to the shop

Name:	C8FSE_slide_web.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	27160
    This is the old saw, it is a very good saw, but the extra space it takes up is rather dear, in the Dungeon.

I do not think that drawer slide are going to do it, they would have too much slop in them. I'm looking at something more robust.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

What is the height of the saw from the bottom of its base to the top of the highest point? Take that measurment and measure that distance from the wall, install a heavy duty pair of hinges, then the saw could be hinged up towards the wall and a board slid in the space left on the bench to make it useable space when not sawing? Or just make it a slide in contraption and have many bench tools using this system and the one needed gets slid in place and used, the others on a vertical shelf system.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Not bad at all Jonathan, keep the ideas flowing
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Or just make it a slide in contraption and have many bench tools using this system and the one needed gets slid in place and used, the others on a vertical shelf system.
    I saw Norm on the New Yankee do this on his work counter. He made a cutout for his bench top mortiser. He then attached a piece of the counter top that was the same dimensions as the cutout to the base of the mortiser. He had a blank that would fill the hole when not in use and store the mortiser in the cabinet underneath.

Stu,

Do you have a link for your latest dungeon configuration?

I have a silly idea, but don't know if it would work...

Thanks,

Bill

Silly is good

Take a look at >> THIS << thread.

I did pull these three pics for you.........

Name:	old_scms_station2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	27251
    A basic drawing

Name:	dungeon_ts_placement_2a.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	27253 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon_ts_placement_1a.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	27252
    Two SketchUp views

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 12-30-2008 at 04:05 AM.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    A couple of 100# drawer slides? [...] They would have to have some sort of stop or lock though for safety I would imagine.
    Jon, that answer just made Michael Butts of Fort Erie, Ontario a "Best Tip Prize Winner" in the February 2009 issue of Workbench magazine, which just arrived in the mail today. Check it out [HERE].

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett
    I do not think that drawer slide are going to do it, they would have too much slop in them. I'm looking at something more robust.
    I understand what Stu is saying ... but he must be more nit-picky than Workbench.

And I don't even get that magazine! Oh well, always a day late and a dollar short, that's what I get for farming with horses!!
    Jon