Jig for cutting narrow pieces

Ron Roase

Small cut Jig 2.JPGI recently made a wine cabinet, and needed to cut several narrow pieces of maple to suport wine bottles. I remembered seeing a jig at a Wood working show that looked like the way to go.Small Cut Jig 1.JPG
After a little work at the table saw.
It really work quite well.
small cut up close 1.JPG
Have used it a number of times and has always produced idenical pieces. the nice part is nothing gets traped between the saw blade and the fence. Much safer that way:thumb:

Last edited:
Please give us some indications on how that works. I cut a lot of thin strips for the kayaks. I do the old way, between the fence and the blade. I just make a sacrificial push block to get past the blade. It works but there has to be a better way.

Please give us some indications on how that works. I cut a lot of thin strips for the kayaks. I do the old way, between the fence and the blade. I just make a sacrificial push block to get past the blade. It works but there has to be a better way.

Jeff.... What I do is set the Jig into the miter slot. Ajust the cross piece so the brass screw is the distance from the blade that you want your finished piece to be. Then put the work piece on the saw and slide the rip fence to move the work piece to make contact with the brass screw. Then just rip the piece and it falls to the left of the saw blade. Just keep moving the rip fence in that manner untill you have the number of pieces you need.:thumb:

Hi Toni ...now i need to ask how you do this? I have wanted to do this so many times and have been frustrated by the forum not seeming to have a place to store info that one wants to return to later or look up again. Thanks in advance

Rob, You should see a subscribe option under the Thread tools just above the first posting on the page. You can use this as a bookmark option, but you will receive email updates when another reply is added to the post. Otherwise you could just use your "Add Bookmark" option on your browser.

Last edited:
Rob, You should see a subscribe option under the Thread tools just above the first posting on the page. You can use this as a bookmark option, but you will receive email updates when another reply is added to the post. Otherwise you could just use your "Add Bookmark" option on your browser.

Not quite correct Darren, you can subscribe, but without the e-mail notification, then you see the thread, you just have to click "Quick Links" and "Subscribed Threads" to see the ones you have subscribed to.

Ron, that is a good little jig for sure, thanks for posting it! :thumb:

Not quite correct Darren, you can subscribe, but without the e-mail notification, then you see the thread, you just have to click "Quick Links" and "Subscribed Threads" to see the ones you have subscribed to.

Ron, that is a good little jig for sure, thanks for posting it! :thumb:

Thanks Darren and Stu. Now I just have to remember to do it.:rofl::rofl:

Just for kicks - here are a couple of related links:
See [pages 84-86] from WOOD Magazine's "Build Your Own Shop Jigs and Fixtures", courtesy of Google Book Search. (It looks like they have the whole book!)

Here is [another man's take on the jig] ... modified from a write-up in "2006 WOOD Magazine’s Best-Ever Woodworking Jigs, Homemade Tools, & Shop Organizers" (pgs 6-7). My guess is that the WOOD info is the same as above, but "collected" into a different publication.​