Thread: Auction find

Auction find

Went to an auction recently. I didn't really know anything about this when I found it. I had been wanting a disk sander for a while and saw this edge sander among a bunch of Powermatic tools and though it would be a handy item if it didn't go to high. To my surprise it stalled at about $25 so I started bidding. I ended up buying it for $35 ...well $41 after all the fee's. I felt it was well worth that much for the 3/4 hp Dayton motor on it if nothing else. Plus I knew it would very handy in the shop. The tables are in sad shape but otherwise it's in good shape.

After I got it home I found out I had a desirable and pricey ACME sander. Because of the paint on it I couldn't even read the name tag. Found one of the fellows on OWWM had one that was basically worn out and sold it for $100. $250 up was considered a fair price for a used one. Seems I did a lot better than I realized at the time.

After finding that out I decided to tear this one apart and clean and repaint it.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 12-27-2006 at 12:21 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ya dooone good..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Heck of a deal Jeff! Whenever I go to an auction what ever I'm intrested in goes for almost as much (or more) as a new one.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Well Jeff it looks like you are up to your usual self buying what looks like a sows ear & turning it into a silk purse.

Next time before you go out to fall in it & come up smelling like a rose please call me so I can tag along & see how it done.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Next time before you go out to fall in it & come up smelling like a rose please call me so I can tag along & see how it done.

Well I am still kicking myself for not buying several machines that day. First auction I have ever seen things go that cheap.

OK Bart, here is your heads up! I am going Friday to Chattanooga to look at and hopefully buy a Queen City pedestal grinder. 150 to 200 pound cast iron industrial model! This is what I think I am going to see.

He also has a Handcraft(?) jointer and a "Craftman compressor of some kind" with it. I want the grinder and the rest is just a bonus (or scrap iron!). We won't talk about his asking price. I have to leave by 9AM so don't be late!

Yo BArt! Time change, Leaving at 8AM. I forgot about the time change between here and there. Don't be late! We will grab breakfast on the way.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits