View Poll Results: Do you make back-ups of your files?

50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always think about it but never make it

13 26.00%
  • I make them on a regular basis

28 56.00%
  • Only from important stuff

7 14.00%
  • Only for a few days after a crash and after a while I relax

3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Do you make back-ups of your hard drive?

POLL: Do you make back-ups of your hard drive?

I thought I could post this poll to make everybody aware that most of us do not make back-ups of our files, and that if we value the information that we have on them we should.

I voted for #1 because I have two hard drives, one for software and another for data. I know it can crash as well but it has less chances I guess
    Last edited by Toni Ciuraneta; 12-30-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Absolutely I should. I voted in the first category. The only thing I have backed up is my writing. (flash drive and Yahoo Briefcase) My photos could be lost. That would be tragic.

Should, but dont, wish I did many times.

New year maybe will get my act together

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Constantine, MI
    Voted #1. Looking into Carbonite as a new year's resolution. Heard some good stuff about it.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Kansas City, Missouri
    I've started using MS Live Sync to sync between my laptop and the home computer, but still make DVD Backups and keep important stuff in multiple locations.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-30-2008 at 01:47 PM.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I bought a external hard drive from Simple Drive, then bought some true image back-up software someone recommended and do Full Backups of the entire computer every day. It only keeps 3 copies of backups before it starts overwriting the oldest version. It may be overkill doing it everyday but with my wife using the computer most everyday for work/school stuff I am not gonna take any chances. If it crashes I can restore the entire computer to the way it was
    Rise above the rest

Delton, Michigan
    ok aaron can you give us the recipe?
    two machine's one in the shop and one in the house.. some software and mostly pics.. have tried to get the other half to back up pics but havnt succeeded yet.. so what size external HD and what software do you suggest? i do it daily at work but still have got burnt..but those machines run constantly..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Reno NV
    I try to grab a full backup on fridays, but I don't always do it.

My work PC has an online backup service that Is supposed to take care of things, but I have a dedicted external backup drive I use on it.

I have a couple of other backup drives I use for my home pc's.

Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to schedule some backups today...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

33.8736N, 117.7627W
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I've started using MS Live Sync to sync between my laptop and the home computer, but still make DVD Backups and keep important stuff in multiple locations.
    I've been using SyncToy for almost a that the same thing? (Seems odd that MS would have two separate sync utilities.)
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Tokyo Japan
    I have an external HD on both of my windows computers, and the one main computer, I also have a raid array, mirror drive set up. I've lost a drive or two on the raid arrays over the years, just buy a new drive, smash the mirror, insert new drive, and rebuild the mirror, simple!

I've also got a Mac, and it has Time machine on it, very cool!

I'll be getting Carbonite in the new year for the one main Windows machine and the Mac too, an off site back up is very important to have as well.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward