Shop Electrical - Phase Two

glenn bradley

Here's a snowball effect for you; I was starting in on my cyclone install. This should be easy as I have the plug and breaker positions ready and in use by my current 110v unit. Just swap the outlet and breaker and I'm in business.

Well, I could do that but I really need some more electrical across the shop on the other wall.

*** Special note to all who are planning their electrical; putting in twice as much as you could ever possibly need will not save you from needing more ***

Anyway, the physical path for routing any new electrical will end up behind the cyclone. If I want anything added, now is the time so, full stop on the G0440 install and full speed ahead on the electrical expansion. More snowball as I decide to add more wall outlets that will require an "adjustment" to one of the lumber racks to get at the walls behind it . . . and . . . so it begins. Since we all love adding power (yeah, right) I thought I'd take you all along for the ride.

First off it is the DEAD OF WINTER where I live . . . Brrrrrrrr, 70's.

1---Winter-Day.jpg

Here is the nice space left after moving out my current DC, blade rack, jig pegs, overarm hood and all that.

2---Blank-Slate.jpg

Here's the box that went in with phase 1.

3---Sub-pre-phase-2.jpg

Time to shred some drywall!

Last edited:
Forging ahead despite the bitter cold . . . I found a better path that is far removed from the cyclone mounting area. This may be a gift of some sort if I can get away with just this one hole on this wall.

5---New-Path.jpg

I have three 1" holes.

4---Three-holes.jpg

One for a 220v circuit for the jointer, one for a dedicated 110v for the old DC which will be re-tasked as a jointer-only DC. Can I run 2 12/2 wires through the remaining 1" hole? I would like to have 2 circuits for outlets on the opposite wall.

Glenn,

When I installed my electrical panel in my shop, I knew I would have to add something later, especially 220 circuits. I put the panel between two studs and screwed a piece of 1/2" plywood over these studs. When I need to change something, I just have to remove the plywood. No messing with drywall.

When I added my Clearvue cyclone, I had to run another 220 circuit. I ran the wiring up betwen the studs and overhead to the spot where the cyclone is mounted. To get the wiring down the wall, I ran it in conduit.

By the way I feel for you on the cold issue. We have a heat wave here today. It was 25 F degrees. Wind chill -10 F degrees.:eek::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
The orange things are pieces of tube that I write the circuit info on and slip over one wire before screwing it down. Real technical stuff like "cord reel by grinder" or "dedicated circuit for jointer" and stuff like that. I do label the breakers and outlets served by them with plain old numbers so I can ID them when all the covers are on. The orange labels just remind me of where the wires run when I've got the box covers off.

Just swap the outlet and breaker and I'm in business.:rolleyes: HA!

Well, I could do that but I really need some more electrical across the shop on the other wall.

*** Special note to all who are planning their electrical; putting in twice as much as you could ever possibly need will not save you from needing more ***

Here's the box that went in with phase 1.

View attachment 27289

Yep, that BOX is ABSOLUTELY Too BARE Note: I think Code REQUIRES "ALL" Electrical Panel Boxes in Wood Worker Shops to be PACKED full of WIRES, but YOURS, kinda reminds me of a Cabinet Shop's Clamp Rack with only 4 clamps on it.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Time to shred some drywall!
Now you're gettin' the IDEA.:thumb::D

Of course you guys will just have to trust me that this is the "other" wall. Oh wait, no you won't. I painted the "good" wall, it looks pretty good . . .

cleat-wall-042008-2.jpg

Dedicated 110v for the jointer-only DC and a dedicated 220v for the jointer on the "bad" wall.

Elec-phase-2-E_Wall-1.jpg

Added a couple GFCI quads as well and stubbed some extra feeds up through the plate over the sub-panel. I can junction box any future growth or use the short leads as pull wires and skip the junction.

Elec-phase-2-E_Wall-2.jpg

Now, back to mounting the cyclone . . . .