Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chisels

Chisels

I am considering buying some chisels. I was at Hartville Hardware in Hartville, OH last Friday (my wife is from Canton, OH) and they had MHG chisels. Hartville Tool has them on sale - a set of 6 (1/4" thru 1") for $79.00, regular $109.00.

Has anyone tried MHG chisels? I assume they are decent because the hardness Rockwell C 61 and they are German made.

By the way, I found my new favorite store. I asked Hartville Tool if they had a store. They told me they are affiliated with Hartville Hardware. It is not far from my inlaws and it is a quick get away (but then, they really encouraged me to go, so maybe it was a ploy to get rid of me for a while!) . This is a really nice store, people are very helpful and knowledgeable. And this store is only 9.5 hours from my house!!??
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

first of all you didnt stop by!!!! shame on you, i ant 9,5 hrs away either but you go that far to some hardware store but you youppers are used ta driving to get any where huh
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Not only did you drive by Larry's, but you missed my place, too. I'm only about half an hour East of Hartville. I go there often, and yes, it's my favorite store, too!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Well hecky dern! I could have jump on a plane and been shopping at Grizzly in Bellingham in only 5 hours

Good goin on the chisels though Rich!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    I could have jump on a plane and been shopping at Grizzly in Bellingham in only 5 hours
    If you had left 5 hours ago, dinner would be ready for you.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Rich coming from a man that puts up a poll on the value of magazine tool reviews i thought I just had to advise you to look in a recent (3 months ago I guess) Fine Woodworking Magazine tool review of chisels.

If I remember correctly the ones that came out best were a low cost Czech unit I think by the name of Narex.

I know Lee Valley has them see link below.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41504,43500

By the way Lee Valley has a special on right now of Free Shipping to Canada and contiguos United States. Sorry Royall.

Rich Highland Woodworking has them as well good set of 4 $23

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...ROD&ProdID=745

Here is a link to the FWW review
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=31061

Bets of luck with this choice.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 12-31-2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Add in additional info
    cheers

Hecko I was just 4 1/2 hours away. Southeast of Akron Ohio you were.... Pick up some Firestones during the visit?

Good chisels are abounding, you don't have to traverse across country to find them. Ever hear of Mail order or the Gore creation... Internet?

What constitutes a good chisel, anyway? I got Stanleys which I use every day and some twin cherrys that I adore and some Kissing Cranes from Germany (They make ShamWows in Germany) and some Swans from Penn. and a long time ago. Also a couple of Marples from UK. What's the big deal?

Bill,

I didnt travel to look for chisels, I traveled to see my inlaws. That put me 10 miles from Hartville, OH.

Rich
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Well hecky dern! I could have jump on a plane and been shopping at Grizzly in Bellingham in only 5 hours

Good goin on the chisels though Rich!
    I wonder what would happen going through security with your new 12" jointer as a carry-on...

Rich - it is always fun to visit local shops for things interesting to you when traveling. The problem now will be try to be less excited than LOYL when going to your in-laws. I don't know that Hartville Hardware is an affirmative defense for the Man Card pulling offense of being more excited than your wife about visiting your in-laws.