Chisels

Rich Aldrich

I am considering buying some chisels. I was at Hartville Hardware in Hartville, OH last Friday (my wife is from Canton, OH) and they had MHG chisels. Hartville Tool has them on sale - a set of 6 (1/4" thru 1") for $79.00, regular $109.00.

Has anyone tried MHG chisels? I assume they are decent because the hardness Rockwell C 61 and they are German made.

By the way, I found my new favorite store. I asked Hartville Tool if they had a store. They told me they are affiliated with Hartville Hardware. It is not far from my inlaws and it is a quick get away :rofl:(but then, they really encouraged me to go, so maybe it was a ploy to get rid of me for a while!) :rofl:. This is a really nice store, people are very helpful and knowledgeable. And this store is only 9.5 hours from my house:eek:!!??

first of all you didnt stop by!!!! shame on you, i ant 9,5 hrs away either but you go that far to some hardware store but you youppers are used ta driving to get any where huh:rofl:

Not only did you drive by Larry's, but you missed my place, too. I'm only about half an hour East of Hartville. I go there often, and yes, it's my favorite store, too!

Rich coming from a man that puts up a poll on the value of magazine tool reviews i thought I just had to advise you to look in a recent (3 months ago I guess) Fine Woodworking Magazine tool review of chisels.

If I remember correctly the ones that came out best were a low cost Czech unit I think by the name of Narex.

I know Lee Valley has them see link below.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=49989&cat=1,41504,43500

By the way Lee Valley has a special on right now of Free Shipping to Canada and contiguos United States. Sorry Royall.

Rich Highland Woodworking has them as well good set of 4 $23

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=745

Here is a link to the FWW review
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=31061

Bets of luck with this choice. :thumb:

Last edited:
Hecko I was just 4 1/2 hours away. Southeast of Akron Ohio you were.... Pick up some Firestones during the visit?

Good chisels are abounding, you don't have to traverse across country to find them. Ever hear of Mail order or the Gore creation... Internet?

What constitutes a good chisel, anyway? I got Stanleys which I use every day and some twin cherrys that I adore and some Kissing Cranes from Germany (They make ShamWows in Germany) and some Swans from Penn. and a long time ago. Also a couple of Marples from UK. What's the big deal?

Well hecky dern! :rofl::rofl:I could have jump on a plane and been shopping at Grizzly in Bellingham in only 5 hours:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good goin on the chisels though Rich!

I wonder what would happen going through security with your new 12" jointer as a carry-on... :rofl:

Rich - it is always fun to visit local shops for things interesting to you when traveling. The problem now will be try to be less excited than LOYL when going to your in-laws. I don't know that Hartville Hardware is an affirmative defense for the Man Card pulling offense of being more excited than your wife about visiting your in-laws. :rofl:

Here is a link to the FWW review
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=31061

Bets of luck with this choice. :thumb:

Rob,

Thanks for that link. I find it pretty interesting that they rated my Grizzly japanese chisels as a "best value" for japanese chisels. I have to admit, they're pretty good, especially considering the price.

Rich,

FWIW, I'm happy to recommend the Grizzly Japanese chisels. They have a full range of sizes, and they're very cost effective IMHO. They do require some work, but not to much. Mine actually required less work than the magazine reviewer's did. My use has been limited, and I sharpen all of them before starting a project, so I can't attest to their edge retention.

I appreciate the information that everyone has provided. I know chisels aren't the most high tech and aren't most expensive tools for the shop, but I would like the purchase to be one that lasts.

I have one child that started college this year and one next year. I have to make the most of my money because the kids are requiring more. It is unbeleiveable the amount of debt they accummulate by the time they are done with school. We are going to try to pay as much of the debt as we can so they can worry the other major items when they graduate.

School was much less expensive in 1980 thru 1985 when I was in college. However, tuition doubled in the 4 1/2 years I was in college.

I appreciate the information that everyone has provided. I know chisels aren't the most high tech and aren't most expensive tools for the shop, but I would like the purchase to be one that lasts.

There are many folks here who don't complete most projects without using chisels. Don't disrespect the chisel. For many, especially folks who enjoy using hand tools more than power tools, the chisel is an indispensable part of the toolbox. Even folks who primarily use power tools often turn to the chisel for a quick clean up here and there. You're doing very good by trying to find a quality set that won't break the bank.

As with most things with this hobby though, chisels lead one into the very slippery slope of sharpening if you haven't already fallen into that dark hole... :rofl:

Mark,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I posted this for the exact reasons you point out. If I can, I am going to try to buy right the first time, so there is no reason to buy again for a while. I have bought a few things that were junk, thinking they might be a diamond in the rough, only to find out my initial thoughts were right.

You are right about sharpening. I am looking at the Worksharp 3000 or the scary sharp method. I may have to start with the Scary Sharp because of cost.

There was one reply here that really got under my skin. If you go back to the first page, you will undoubtedly find it. There is another forum that I use, but I am getting tired of the derogatory responses. This is the only derogatory response that I have read on this forum.

As for the others, I like the humor. Those who offered dont realize that I might try to visit. I am not sure how to carry a jointer on a plane, but I might try.

My middle daughter, who is graduating this spring, might go to the University of Tulsa - that puts us going through Springfield MO - home of another Grizzly store.

As Larry said, travel is nothing for us Yoopers. There is nothing up here but woods, water and swamp. We live 3 hours from Green Bay - the nearest town (city) of 100,000 people. You either order it from a store or off the internet. It is a real treat to shop in a store like Hartville Hardware.

Last edited: