Dust collection?

electrician finished. He cant fill the trench back in, the ground is going to be frozen for a while, but the line is in and working. Just in time for me not to be going back in there for a while. at least no more blown circuit breakers.

You should enjoy haveing plenty of power out there for your projects. My shop is emptyu as the weather is to cold to try and work out there.

I had blown a fuse recently, and tried to squeeze out garage door without moving all the ply, and when I passed throught the doorway, I split my only pair of work glasses.
so I sat in the house 45 minutes with crazy glue and electrical tape just trying to keep them together long enough for me to get a new pair.
I had to move all those panels away again for the electrician to put thebox in, so while I was out there weds afternoon, I decided to empty whatever llittle dust had collected in the new dust machine.(delta), I was struggling with the snap on bands that hold the bags secure, the top micron bag, I finally got it bent it. I started to lift it out, the band snapped back into its round shape, the bag hit me gently, but split the glasses again, and I got a mouthful of wood dust Ive never eaten, not even with the mouthful I got from the planer recently. stupid me, thought the top bag all settled down to the bottom bag........I learned the hard way.

my daughter happenned to be pulling up from work, she thought it was hilarious

Last edited:
I had blown a fuse recently, and tried to squeeze out garage door without moving all the ply, and when I passed throught the doorway, I split my only pair of work glasses.
so I sat in the house 45 minutes with crazy glue and electrical tape just trying to keep them together long enough for me to get a new pair.
I had to move all those panels away again for the electrician to put thebox in, so while I was out there weds afternoon, I decided to empty whatever llittle dust had collected in the new dust machine.(delta), I was struggling with the snap on bands that hold the bags secure, the top micron bag, I finally got it bent it. I started to lift it out, the band snapped back into its round shape, the bag hit me gently, but split the glasses again, and I got a mouthful of wood dust Ive never eaten, not even with the mouthful I got from the planer recently. stupid me, thought the top bag all settled down to the bottom bag........I learned the hard way.

my daughter happenned to be pulling up from work, she thought it was hilarious

it tastes like chicken allen right:rofl::rofl: welcome to the woodworkers world:thumb: that was the initiation.

I really enjoy your posts Allen, they make me smile :D Maybe because they can hit home with me :p. Buy the way, an extra set of hands really helps putting those crazy lower bags on.

Is there any reason I cant use a thick contractors trash bag for the collecting bag and just dump it when its full and hook up another bag?
You can do that, but it will reduce the number of square inches of filtering material, thus reducing amount of air the DC is able to move. Some of us get around this by using a bigger bag or a pleated paper filter (which has LOTS of square inches of filtering material) on top. They maintain the airflow, and have the convenience of emptying a plastic bag. You still eventually have to clean the bigger bag or pleated filter from time to time, though.

For my Harbor Freight DC (similar to your Delta), I replaced the upper 30 micron bag with a 0.5 micron pleated filter from Wynn Environmental, and the bottom 30 micron bag with a clear plastic bag (which I also get from Wynn).

Delta 50-760

the top is I think a 1 micron, which I would not be changing, the bottom bag is just a piece of plastic, or so I thought.

Allen: you're correct. I bought this unit last spring, and have been happy with it. At the moment, I have one inlet for the TS, router table, and CMS, with separate blast gates for each machine. I ran the second inlet hose to two gated bench outlets, which I use to collect dust from sanding, pocket hole drilling, Dowelmax, and a floor scoop. The gates leak a little when closed, but in general the suction at any machine is adequate.

This spring, I'm going to add a planer and 6" jointer to the shop. I will use the second inlet line for this; I think I can cut the hose before the bench and use PSI twist-lock flanges to connect that line to the planer, jointer or bench outlets as required.I think it might also help to add a separator lid and 30 gallon can in that leg. Not ideal, but I think it's OK for a 1.5 hp unit.

Enjoy your new toy; you won't be sorry to have spent this money.

Tony

the top is I think a 1 micron, which I would not be changing, the bottom bag is just a piece of plastic, or so I thought.
Ah, my misunderstanding. :eek: I'd say you should be fine with a contractor's trash bag if the DC came from the factory with a non-fabric bag in the bottom position.

Allen:

It sounds like you have the same or a similar unit as I do. I try to carefully empty the bottom bag to reuse it so I can see when it is full. Most contractor's bag are black and opaque - and my custom order x-ray glasses are all out of AAAAAAA hydrogen fusion battery packs at the moment. :rofl:

I can get 55 gallon clear bags, but only .5ml to 1 ml thick.
Inexpensive, so Im going to give them a shot.
The worst that will happen is the bag will rip and Ill have a little mess.
I use regular thin 30 gallon bags now to hold everything, in the trash can, and even a tiny rip is ok, I just transfer them to the large trash cans and dispose of them. Sometimes I double them, like Id do with the clear ones for the dust collector.

I use regular thin 30 gallon bags now to hold everything, in the trash can, and even a tiny rip is ok, I just transfer them to the large trash cans and dispose of them. Sometimes I double them, like Id do with the clear ones for the dust collector.
Home Depot (by me anyway) carries 3mil 45 gallon Glad Contractor Clean-up bags. I use thes with my DC but I do fit them inside a fiber drum.

No Allen, the worst that could happen is that you nick the bag slightly without noticing it when it is half full (I like to empty my bag when it is 2/3 full or thereabouts). Then, using the tool nearest the DC, just as your wife and daughter return from shopping, you fire up the DC and the fails catastrophically propelling forth a cubic yard of dust all over, yes, that's right, all over you and your shop.

That is the worst that could happen. You must be one of those happy shiny optimist people who thinks it'll be a good day at work upon seeing a rainbow right above the site as you drive in instead of knowing the day was gonna be crummy because the rainbow was wasted at the beginning of the work day. Sometimes you need a good hard-core pessimist on hand when doing worst case risk assessments.

(Ok, ok, I did see a rainbow pretty darn close to the site this morning on my way in and smiled for most of the day. I still say that Allen significantly underestimated the worst case of DC bag failure.)

Last edited:
yup you said it right mark,, he hasnt seen dust till it comes with hurrican force winds and all over him:) the taste will be gone then just the mess every where.. allen just use the same bag that comes with it and dump it inot something else after the machine is full and OFF..youll be glad you did.. remeber murphys law!!:D