Thread: router bit question?

router bit question?

can i get a bit that will do a half bull nose on 8/4 stock? i went to the whiteside store and they have a large bit for 1.75" but i want a half bull nose so i can use a bearing on it to keep from cuttin to deep.. or a shaper cutter? witha rub collar
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

thanks for the tip chuck i had bull nose on my brain never dawned on me to look for hand rail and i havnt started gettin thirsty yewt

3. Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    thanks for the tip chuck i had bull nose on my brain never dawned on me to look for hand rail and i havnt started gettin thirsty yewt
    It sounds like you are looking for a 1" radius rounding over bit. If so, they are quite common (the Freud version is item 34-132). The bearing is great for one edge but be aware that if you flip the material to cut the other edge the bearing no longer has a reference surface to follow so you will have to use the fence.

I had to look up what a bullnose was. The first link I clicked had these train track router bits on the same page which was something I hadn't seen before. Larry, I hope a roundover bit of an appropriate size will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    It sounds like you are looking for a 1" radius rounding over bit. If so, they are quite common (the Freud version is item 34-132). The bearing is great for one edge but be aware that if you flip the material to cut the other edge the bearing no longer has a reference surface to follow so you will have to use the fence.
    hey charles,, this piece wont work for no fence its to curvy if i left the bit low in the table then i should be able to maintain a flat to refernce to on the other side, correct. its for the sleigh bed sides. not straight much atall

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=3490 look at post 22
    Last edited by larry merlau; 12-31-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Larry, I think what you're saying is that you are thinking of leaving, say, maybe 1/8" flat between the two passes as a deviation from true round to use as a bearing reference?

Would it also work to put a slightly larger bearing* on for the second pass? You'd need to be careful feeding as you'd be referencing to the workpiece on just the corner of the bearing. I've never done this and have no idea as to safety or end result appropriateness - it was just a thought that might be helpful. <shrug>

Best of luck!

*The other half has had material removed from where the bearing would sit - the initial size bearing obviously doesn't contact appropriately, but perhaps a 1/16" larger radius bearing would be at least close enough to make contact to the workpiece on the upper corner of the bearing - some experimentation would be needed for the exact bigger size bearing needed.
    Last edited by Mark Kosmowski; 12-31-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    There's a few ways of going at that I have done.
    The depth of the cut so the barring rides just below center and you get a small ridge that sands off easily.
    Set the depth of the cut so the barring rides just above center and you will get a small flat spot also easily sanded round.
    Set the depth dead on and you will ride on the corner of the barring and may end up sanding out some of both.
    For what you are doing I would go with cutting it just a bit under and finishing the round with a sander. Say maybe an 1/8" flat on the nose.
    thats what i had planned chuck i just am after a un square edge! and alittle flat on top is fine sander will get it..thanks for the right termanolgy on the cutter.

8. Larry,

The best way to accomplish this, especially for a true 1/2 round edge, is to use a template for the shape attached to the work piece and template guide on the router table to follow. These bits are 2-1/2" diameter so they are to be used only with a table mounted router.

router bit question?

Larry,

I'm looking at my MLCS catalog now and I see several that might be what you need.

www.mlcswoodworking.com

or

1-800-533-9298

Hope this helps you my friend.

Happy New Year.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.