Spalted Maple Vase

I turned this vase also. Boy was this thing a bear to turn. As I got into it I found it really punky wood. I used CA and finally got some Minwax Wood hardener. I had a neck on it like the first one but it just fell apart so just cut it off. I also did something on the inside that was a first for me and painted it black. It makes it look like the depth goes forever. This one is 7" tall and 6" across. Finished with 3 coats of satin wipe on poly. The LOML wanted it for some reason and wanted a satin finish.

Attachments

• Spalted Maple Vase 1.jpg
    Spalted Maple Vase 1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Spalted Maple Vase 3.jpg
    Spalted Maple Vase 3.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Spalted Maple Vase 4.jpg
    Spalted Maple Vase 4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 31
Prefer the other one Bernie, would have been tempted to try a contrasting colour collar to reduce the opening nearer your intended neck size.

Just personal views, but I think it looks a little top heavy on that narrow base as it is.

hey bernie on another note but its still spinny ? that small stuff you got from your buddy looks to be 4" dia mayber cedar i think.. what would you sue something that small for? from what i have seen here you spinny guys dont want the center pith at all.. and if you split those you got 2" not very big bernie??? inguirun minds need help:rofl:

hey bernie .......what would you sue something that small for? .....

Maybe:------

100_1411.jpg

100_1413.jpg

100_1412.jpg

:p:)

Very exciting stuff, Charles. :thumb: The fruit bowl particularly caught my attention.
Turning doesn't have to be big to be good.
We have a member in my club who does excellent tiny turning also. He is a very large man with equally big hands but he can make that tiny stuff also. His demos make it look easy. :rolleyes:
For me, I could break the stem on one of those tall goblets just thinking about turning one. ;)

Thanks for the comments.

Chas I thought about putting a collar on it but decided to quit while I was ahead. Beside the wife already has it filled with flowers. So guess it is ok.

Very exciting stuff, Charles. :thumb: The fruit bowl particularly caught my attention.Turning doesn't have to be big to be good.

Can't take the credit for that little batch Frank, most are down to a member of UKWorkshops who brought them along to a Bash at my place just to set us all a standard.

......Chas I thought about putting a collar on it but decided to quit while I was ahead. Beside the wife already has it filled with flowers. So guess it is ok.

Job done then, there's no argument from me, if the boss likes it no amount of discussion on preferences of form or finish are relevant.

As I got into it I found it really punky wood. I used CA and finally got some Minwax Wood hardener.

Bernie,
How well does the wood hardener work... I have some maple that's been in the back yard for last 3 years and was a dead tree before that. The wood is almost at or past the crumble stage, but has some fantastic spalting marks in it. I hate to lose it, and was thinking about getting something like a hardener that I could soak it in and maybe save some of it. Will I need to have a pressure or vacuum system to be able to use the hardener??

Chuck, I've used the wood hardener to stiffen corn cobs to make pens with. I simply wedge the cobs into the bottom of a coffee can and cover with the hardner. The instructions say to brush on liberally. I think in your case I would rough turn leaving really thick, brush it on and allow to dry, turn some more and repeat the brush on/allow to dry sequece as often as needed. Hard to say what method will work best without seeing the wood. Push come to shove, rough turn it and soak it over night.

I did exactly what Doug describes. I roughed it and I mean it was rough. I hollowed out the inside and left it about 1" thick. I then just soak the heck out of it and let it set for 24 hrs. I just kept painting it on till it wouldn't take anymore. As I hollowed more of the inside out and got to about 1/2" thick I hit the inside again. It really worked pretty well and didn't come out to bad.