Wax after Deft

Bob Wiggins

Former Member (by the member's request)
The only instructions on the can, other than drying and re-coat time, say to wait "several" days to rub hard finish with 0000 steel wool". Would it be a good guess that Johnson paste wax could be applied at that time?

Bob, my question is "why on Earth would you want to put paste wax on top of the Deft?" If you've sprayed on 3 coats of Deft, that's all the protection that your object is going to need. The wax is not necessary and is probably overkill.

We've been using Deft (or similar lacquer) for nearly 25 years, and not once have we found it necessary to put paste wax on top of it.

Nancy is correct that the paste wax is not absolutely necessary; however, it will give a nice slick feel to the surface if done correctly. Before that, though, feel the surface and see how coarse it is. You may need to use some 600 or even 400 grit abrasive (wet with mineral spirits) to create a nice even surface. Then load some 0000 steel wool (or white Scotch Brite) with paste wax and go over the finish thoroughly, being careful not to cut through to bare wood. Watch for the point at which the wax "flashes" and quickly remove it with dry 0000 steel wool. Then buff with a clean cloth.

...the paste wax is not absolutely necessary; however, it will give a nice slick feel to the surface if done correctly.

So will the Deft - spray on one coat, go over it with some 0000 steel wool, 400 sandpaper, or a white Scotchbrite, then spray on two more coats. It will give that same "slick" feel as the wax.

The only instructions on the can, other than drying and re-coat time, say to wait "several" days to rub hard finish with 0000 steel wool". Would it be a good guess that Johnson paste wax could be applied at that time?
After reading my original post several times I've determined to wax or not to wax wasn't the question. Thanks for your time anyway.