Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juvenile Joinery: Back Rest

Juvenile Joinery: Back Rest

In the spirit of [Toni's recent "sermon" on SHARING] ... here goes nothin'.

My wife has been asking for something that would make it more comfortable for her to read & write in bed. We have a very simple waterbed frame with a (pair of) Select Comfort air mattress(es). The somewhat-attached headboard has room for a row of books (or whatever) but it's not comfortable to lean against.

I'd been thinking about what I could do ('cause I really stink at flatwork at this point), and I finally started working on a back rest on Christmas Day. My wife didn't know what I was up to until I offered her a "preview of her surprise". (I asked her to test drive the back rest while it was still in 3 pieces and give me feedback on the angles, etc.) She was pleasantly surprised, and "approved" the design, so I persevered.

Anyway, here it is so far. The "backboard" is about 16" x 22", and the lean angles are 35 degrees and 55 degrees.

It was a nice follow-up to our Amazon.com, pick-from-my-wish-list-and-I'll-pick-from-yours gift exchange. She has used it a few times, and says she really likes it. Who am I to tell her about the missed opportunity for half lap joints and something better than hardboard? At least I did a 1/8" roundover on (almost) all edges with my Colt, and sanded things up nice.

She did ask me to add a "handle" to make it easier to pick up ... something like an oval hole near each end of the backboard. Gotta remember to do that....

Terrific Kerry! She is right about the handles, but I like the simple design. Your flat work leaves nothing to desire, good job!

Nice job !!

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    It's looks great and keeping ones wife happy is what it is all about
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Now run to the fabric store and get some foam and fabric and make her a nice cushion to go with it. This whould earn you a few brownie points.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    or fresh BROWNIES
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Im beginning to believe many have lost sight of the rewards of being able to create thing out of wood with our own hands.
    Building and creating fantastic things for our families is very important to me, as Im sure others.
    Its a great idea, and your wife likes it, congratulations.
    Invite me over if shes going to whip up some sausage and peppers, Ill share in the victory dinner.
    It looks good, and does the right job. Very nice.

btw, the utes are in some battle right now with the Tide.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Al killian View Post
    Now run to the fabric store and get some foam and fabric and make her a nice cushion to go with it. This whould earn you a few brownie points.
    Yeah, I've been noodling along those lines. It wouldn't make sense to attach fabric to the hardboard, but I guess I could wrap it around and staple(?) it to the supports.

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    or fresh BROWNIES
    Mmmm. Brownies!

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Invite me over if shes going to whip up some sausage and peppers, Ill share in the victory dinner.
    Actually, I made dinner tonight. 5-mile roundtrip to Burger King!

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    btw, the utes are in some battle right now with the Tide.
    I don't follow sports much these days. But if I did, I'd feel obliged to snub the red-outfit team from Salt Lake in favor of the blue-outfit team from Provo (BYU). Still, you gotta hand it to the Utes. Undefeated? That's cool!

Hi Kerry.
    These are the most rewarding projects of all, those that we make for the loved ones.

I second the idea of the handles and the cushion, maybe it is your time to try upholstering
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...