Mahogany Box

Mark Pruitt

A late Christmas gift for Mom; she and Dad will be here for a visit this weekend. This box is approx. 3.75" dia. and was proportioned using the golden ratio. Finished on the lathe with beeswax inside and out, and buffed the exterior with carnauba wax.
DSC_0437edit2.jpg

DSC_0440edit2.jpg

DSC_0444edit2.jpg

Love the box, proportions and design. I especially like the little knob that you topped it off with. Too many elegant finials being used. Your knob is perfect for this application.

Golden Ratio?

Hi mark:

My dad worked with Mahogany a lot. I love that piece. I do have one question. What is the Golden Ratio you mentioned. I am new to woodturning and would like to know how to set up a piece similar to yours in the right proportions.

Thanks.

Joe Penney

Hi mark:

My dad worked with Mahogany a lot. I love that piece. I do have one question. What is the Golden Ratio you mentioned. I am new to woodturning and would like to know how to set up a piece similar to yours in the right proportions.

Thanks.

Joe Penney
Joe, the Golden Ratio is 1 : 1.61803399. My wife gave me one of these rules...
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=57625&cat=1,43513
...for Christmas. It's not necessary to have one to use the golden ratio but it makes it easier.

The ways the golden ratio was applied here were (1) height x 1.618 = diameter and (2) height of lid x 1.618 = height of bottom.

Last edited: