Thread: prototype quilt rack

prototype quilt rack

Been considering a design for a Quilt rack, Not yet finished or color chosen or completely assembled but here is today's doing...

Southern Yellow Pine with 1" Dowels
    What do you think? So far?

I like it. One of these is on LOML's list. I'll have to make sure she doesn't see this. I'm also a big fan of proto types although I generally build them out of old pallets and such; suitable only for firewood once their job is done ;-) Your's is a keeper.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

That's very nice. I also have one of those in my future. My wife's quilting club has a raffle every year and I'm planning on donating a quilt rack for next years drawing.
    Dave

Looks great!, I look forward to see it finished!

The only change i would make would be to make the legs thinner in the center with a very big radius curve so that the curves from the heart shaped top would flow all the way down to the feet in a continuous curve, like in the attached sketch, the so vertical and parallel lines somewhat disturb me a bit.

Maybe this is because i love curves and curvy shapes, so my opinion is biased for sure...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heart01.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Thanks, I made a bunch of these several years ago, sold a few and gifted the rest. Ever sinse, I had the idea and just got my round to it in gear.

Used the same pattern for the Heart top and Heart shaped base.

Also have a plan in my skull fur a wall unit to display several quilts. Will have to get it on paper and into reality soon.

Toni, I too like the continuing curves as you discribe, but there has to be a point where labor intensive design is offset by the low price these items collect as the market is flooded by Cheap versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Toni, I too like the continuing curves as you discribe, but there has to be a point where labor intensive design is offset by the low price these items collect as the market is flooded by Cheap versions.
    Sorry I misunderstood the whole thing,I wasn't aware that those were to sell.What you say makes sense.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Ah but Bill I think Toni has a good point here for you. The differentiation created by the continuous curves would put your stand in a class of its own and make it more desirable. Think about it. Toni's curves in his drawing make a great design, not that much more effort. But sure would add to the eye candy value. Just a though. Having been in Spain I know why Toni likes curves I think it has something to do with that Mediteranean blood in him.
    cheers

Toni has a great point and I too like the flowing idea (although I have grown used to the fact that graceful Mediteranean curves are thing of the past) but you must remember that these are not achieving a grand Craftsmanship price anymore and I want to keep to a Nominal sized lumber material, (I own a stack of 2x10s) and only a few will be willing to pay for craftsmanship whilst others will search for the bargain.

I do not normally craft for sales but my M-I-L does some Needle work as well as set up in a flea market. She is going to set up in a "Crafts only" fair this summer and has limited "goodies" to peddle. SWMBO said I should make a few of my "Stuff" and help her amass a good showing. Her Afgans and my stands should do her sells well and may help her expenses. I have done this in the past and expect no returns on my investment but the pride in selling all that I make. She, and her sister, reaps the benefit for the sales. What I get in return is calls and referrals (I attach a card) which I convert into a better investment.
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 01-04-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Toni has a great point and I too like the flowing idea (although I have grown used to the fact that graceful Mediteranean curves are thing of the past)
    Thinking about what Rob said I to found the graceful Mediteranean curves a thing of the past when I got married too

Sorry.... couldn't help it
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Thinking about what Rob said I to found the gracefulMediteranean curves a thing of the past when I got married too

Sorry.... couldn't help it
    Married or knot... Over 60 does rate a problem with curves and Mediteranean etc...