I can think of two things that could be wrong.

First is bad transformer. Assuming you have one. Some magnetic starters are 12v or 24 volt controls. If that is your case (probably not) you may have a bad transformer.

Next thought is a bad switch. The start button itself could be bad. The contacts in the start button could have dirty contacts. The best way to know is take a volt/ohm meter and start following the circuit.

And don't forget something obvious, like a broken wire.

Minor detail. :doh:

You probably fried one of the heaters (overloads). They prevent you from frying the motor. I would start with those. They may look like little coiled springs, it depends on the starter. Should be two of them in there.

Had a scare with my unisaw today....:eek::( Hit the start button and It only hummed. (not a very good tune either) It did try to move the blade and I quickly turned the saw off. Turns out with all the rain we've been getting the humidity caused the new zero clearance plate I made swell up and pinched the blade so tight that I had to use the heat gun to dry the plate out so I could remove it:rofl: Reshaped it with the sander and stuck it back in. Works now:thumb::thumb:

Hope your problem ends up a simple one Chuck.

If it's the remote switch..they get full of dust and start going squirrely on ya. I got a replacement under waranty on my PM switch and after a few months it went bad too. Then i discovered a post by John Lucas on another forum telling how to clean the switch. Haven't had a problem since. To prevent a recurrence, I put the remote inside a zip lock bag to keep the dust out. You can operate it with the bag on just fine. Here's John's post:
"My Powermatic 3520 remote switch died this weekend. It had acted up several time in the past. I don't hardly ever use it so I was a little hacked. Fortunately it was an easy repair. Woodcraft also sells a remote switch that appears to be very similar to this so maybe this will save someone some time.

Take the box apart and take the switch out. You'll have to push the little plastic latches on the ends of the switch toward the switch and at the same time push the switch out. That's by far the hardest part of the repair.

The switch is held together buy two plastic spring latches located on the sides of the switch. Pry these out and seperate the switch housing. There is a rubber dust cover. Pull this out. clean it off. It apparently doesn't work all that well because my switch was pretty dirty.

There are two plastic pins that push on the rocker arms. Don't lose these they are just floating in some holes. Pull the metal rocker arms out and clean them off. It only takes a very small amount of dust to keep this style of switch from working.

put them back in, correct side up. Now put the rubber dust cover back in. Then put the top part of the switch back on and snap the plastic springs over their clips. Put the switch back in its box and put the box back together. Not a difficult repair at all. "

Last edited:
Well, I hesitate to say this without seeing your switch up close. But if it is a magnetic switch yes. But the start button is only engaged momentarily. That is power does not stay on but as long as you hold the start button down.

So don't hold tie these two together and leave it on!!

Magnetic switches at not just on and off switches and I really don't like trying to trouble shoot one without seeing it. I am afraid of you frying something important, like YOURSELF.

Do you know someone with a little electrical knowledge? Someone with a meter that can read the diagram could trouble shoot it just a very few minutes.