Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue Accelerant

Glue Accelerant

Watched a woodworking show. The fellow used Super Glue (looked like Elmers Glue) on one part and then sprayed an "Accelerant" from an aerosol can on the other side. He said the glue set up in a minute so he was able to hold the joint with his hands until the glue set. Can anybody enlighten me on the "Accelerant" ?

DKT

CA Glue cures with the absents of air. The accelerater blocks air and allows the CA glue to cure.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker View Post
    CA Glue cures with the absents of air. The accelerater blocks air and allows the CA glue to cure.

Bruce
    Please tell me what the accelerant is and where I can buy it. I live near a Woodcraft store. Thanks.

DKT

This is the one I use because it's available at Woodcraft, I'm sure there are others
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...9&FamilyID=346

Tony, BCE '75

The CA accelerators work but can cause bubbles and clouding of the glue, especially if you use CA to fill a crack (as in a turning). CA cures from contact with moisture so you might try spritzing the glue before you hit it with the accelerant. Wikipedia has a discussion of CA glue.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Titebond has a new ca glue out. You can use it with an accelerant or without. It comes in about four different set up times. If I remember right, the accelerant works with all.

Accelerator is great with pens, filling pits when combined with shavings/sawdust and to strengthen a tenon when using thin CA. To echo Mike, it does cloud, but I've found that if your mixing w/ a dye or color, ie: black, it works out well. Good luck
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

There can be a positive safety factor in using an accelerant also.
    A friend came over to test drive my lathe. We were turning a walnut bowl (remember Ole El Cracko?) and a crack appeared. I put some CA into the crack and we talked for a couple minutes before turning the lathe back on. No accelerant was used even though I have some. We were enjoying the visit and wasting time talking was part of the objective. When I did turn it back on, having assumed the CA had cured, several small drops of the glue flew out and hit me on the face and glasses. Fortunately I was wearing glasses. However, I wasn't wearing my face mask. I now have a number of small spots of CA on the lenses that will remain until I replace them. Since glasses are now made of plastic (maybe we should call them 'plastics' instead of 'glasses' ) I can't use Acetone to remove the CA as the lenses would get ruined in the process.
    So....give plenty of time and/or use accelerant.

Woodcraft carries the accelerant as well as the CA glue in different thicknesses. You might have to ask for it at the counter. The store near me keeps all the CA stuff in a drawer by the register.

Also, I just recently ordered some CA from this site:

http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/index.html

Click on the CA Glue link.

His product is 1st class and his prices are about 1/2 what you pay at other places. I got my order within a couple days of submitting it. He's just down the road from me in Houston, so your mileage as far as shipping times may vary.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Since glasses are now made of plastic (maybe we should call them 'plastics' instead of 'glasses' ) I can't use Acetone to remove the CA as the lenses would get ruined in the process.
    You might want to check with your eye doctor. I had polycarbonate lenses that got coated with some CA glue one time and my eye doctor looked at them and told me to use acetone to clean them off.

I tried it and it worked, sort of. The glue had been on so long that there were still some residual spots/stains...

Not saying to do it, but it's worth checking out.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash