Morticer Question

Sean Wright

I just set up my Steel City bench morticer. This is my first morticer.

The manual didn't say anything about it, but do you have to wax or otherwise lubricate the drill bit? (to help reduce any friction between the bit and the chisel) It seems to me the potential for friction and tool wear are rather high on this type of machine.

I haven't noticed any burning or heard any loud noises yet, but I was considering some preventive maintenance.

Any thoughts?

I don't mine and it squeals like stuck pig sometimes.And it does get hot to the touch too. Mine is a OLD Wysong line shaft driven machine. My Father In Law has been giving it a workout lately on some mission style end tables. If the bit would have been damaged it would have happened by now. He has made a 20 or more DEEP mortises with it.

The bit is NOT to touch the chisel, ergo no lube necessary. Check your setup and see that the bit is to protrude between 1/6" and 1/8" beyond the chisel, Brute force pushes the chisel through and cuts the corners after the drill clears the way with the round hole. If the bit touches the chisel the heat would distroy the temper in little time.

The bit is NOT to touch the chisel, ergo no lube necessary. Check your setup and see that the bit is to protrude between 1/6" and 1/8" beyond the chisel, Brute force pushes the chisel through and cuts the corners after the drill clears the way with the round hole. If the bit touches the chisel the heat would destroy the temper in little time.

What Bill said. I use a nickel as a spacer. Seems to give a 'just right' gap between bit and chisel.

I do lube mine occasionally - I use Pam cooking spray. BTW, I also use Pam on my bandsaw blades.

Sean
I recently got the same model.
In setting mine up, I found the fence was very slightly off square with the table. The casting itself is machined square, so I found the problem to be in the weld of the attachment plate to the fence mounting rod. You might want to check this on yours. Some brass shim stock is my method for squaring it up.
I also had a rattle in one of the chisel/bits, which from what Bill said above, is going back for a replacement.
Have fun.
Peter