Salt & Pepper Shakers

Frank Townend

I'm getting closer to finishing my Christmas presents. Here are three salt and pepper shaker sets made from Rockler kits.

3167108844_cfc71c3ab8.jpg

Left to Right: Tamboti / Brazilian Cherry / Kingwood

Thank you Larry. A perfectly good question, glad you checked them out on Rockler. Some time ago several of us were discussing "salt cellars", also known as "salt boxes". In these items there is no insert like the Rockler kit, so to finish or not to finish was discussed.

Thank you Pete.

Thanks Bernie. The 'stock' is only 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" X 3". It is nice you can use "cast-offs" and make a nice set. You don't even need the same species, Rockler suggests light and dark woods. In the future I will add a light tint to the Brazilian Cherry so it doesn't look pale. It has small 'pockets' you can't sand out.

Those are great Frank! My favorite is the Tamboti:thumb:, but they are all really good looking. Have you tried the Lee Valley sets? They seem to be a little less expensive, but I don't know how the capacity and quality compare to the Rockler sets. Coming from LV, I think the quality would be good. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to try that spinny stuff one of there days. But I'm told if I do, I should just go ahead and sell my flatwork equipment.:rofl:

Thank you Jon.

Thanks Ron. Thanks for the hint on Lee Valley. They are the same as Rockler and Craft Supplies with Lee Valley and Craft Supplies being a couple of dollars cheaper. At the time I ordered them I wasn't aware of the other sources. I think I got free shipping from Rockler so maybe it is a wash. I liked making them, I'd do some more soon. Be careful if you start turning, it is hard to go back.

Thank you Marshall. These allow a new turner like me to have something to show and something to help build skills.