Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for suggestions

Looking for suggestions

Hi Guys
    I found this forum a few days ago and love it. I am making a small box for my Granddaughter and I'm looking for suggestions for the latch. As you can see I should have kept her name lower because now I only have a 1/4 inch between the top of the box and the name. There is 1 inch on the sides of her name so i would consider 2 latches if i have to. The lid is 1/2 inch thick and is beveled back a little. I have tried some small hasps from the craft store but am having a problem finding something that works. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Leroy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box.JPG  

Nice looking box Leroy. Welcome the family also.

I was thinking a spring catch, or rare earth magnets might work. Does the box need to me locked or just securely closed?

Rockler has a Draw / Snap Catch:

Which is 3/4" top to bottom

If you just need something to hold the lid snug, you could try these
    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41399,41405
    You could put it inside the box with the long side mounted on the bottom and the small piece on the top screwed to a small block glued inside the lid. You can use them either with the orientation in the pics on LV's site or with the plunger portion at the sides. It looks like you already have a built in handle for lifting with the lid sticking past the side.
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 01-04-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

I can't add any suggestions to what has been said already.
    Except: Very nice box that I'm sure will be appreciated for many years.
    And, welcome to the Family.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Welcome to the family LeRoy
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

No suggestions than the ones already posted, but Welcome to the Family!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Coblentz View Post
    Hi Guys
    I found this forum a few days ago and love it. I am making a small box for my Granddaughter and I'm looking for suggestions for the latch. As you can see I should have kept her name lower because now I only have a 1/4 inch between the top of the box and the name. There is 1 inch on the sides of her name so i would consider 2 latches if i have to. The lid is 1/2 inch thick and is beveled back a little. I have tried some small hasps from the craft store but am having a problem finding something that works. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Leroy
    Welcome Leroy and this would be a hard decision to make on the latch , but I'm sure theirs something out their for you .....good job also........Marshall.............
    Usually Busier than a Cat In A sand Box : Arkansas Red Wolf & Razorbacks Fan

Welcome to the family Leroy, and that is one nice looking box!

I was going to suggest rare earth magnets, but I see Frank beat me too it
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi Leroy and welcome
    Frank, Stu and I are on the same page. Here is a link to some I picked up on ebay. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-rare-Neodymium-earth-disc-magnets-1-4-x-1-16-NdFeB_W0QQitemZ270321519429QQcmdZViewItemQQptZNail s_Screws_Fasteners?hash=item270321519429&_trksid=p 3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12 %7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3 A50
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I have used Magnets as catches, on small boxes. Especially with Tykes who have difficulty with latches. Get some 1/4" rare earth magnets, use a forrestner bit and inset the thickness of the magnet, in the edge of the lid, make a matching hole on the box edge. epoxy the magnets in the holes but be sure that they are oriented N + S so that they attract not repell.

I find that if you place the magnets on the sides they hold as well but are easier to open than if you place them along the front edge.