Looking for suggestions

Hi Guys
I found this forum a few days ago and love it. I am making a small box for my Granddaughter and I'm looking for suggestions for the latch. As you can see I should have kept her name lower because now I only have a 1/4 inch between the top of the box and the name. There is 1 inch on the sides of her name so i would consider 2 latches if i have to. The lid is 1/2 inch thick and is beveled back a little. I have tried some small hasps from the craft store but am having a problem finding something that works. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Leroy

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 58
Nice looking box Leroy. Welcome the family also.

I was thinking a spring catch, or rare earth magnets might work. Does the box need to me locked or just securely closed?

Rockler has a Draw / Snap Catch:

22310-01-200.jpg

Which is 3/4" top to bottom

If you just need something to hold the lid snug, you could try these
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40618&cat=3,41399,41405
You could put it inside the box with the long side mounted on the bottom and the small piece on the top screwed to a small block glued inside the lid. You can use them either with the orientation in the pics on LV's site or with the plunger portion at the sides. It looks like you already have a built in handle for lifting with the lid sticking past the side.

Last edited:
Hi Guys
I found this forum a few days ago and love it. I am making a small box for my Granddaughter and I'm looking for suggestions for the latch. As you can see I should have kept her name lower because now I only have a 1/4 inch between the top of the box and the name. There is 1 inch on the sides of her name so i would consider 2 latches if i have to. The lid is 1/2 inch thick and is beveled back a little. I have tried some small hasps from the craft store but am having a problem finding something that works. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Leroy

Welcome Leroy and this would be a hard decision to make on the latch , but I'm sure theirs something out their for you .....good job also....:thumb:....Marshall.............:type:

Hi Leroy and welcome :wave:
Frank, Stu and I are on the same page. Here is a link to some I picked up on ebay. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-rare-Neodymium-earth-disc-magnets-1-4-x-1-16-NdFeB_W0QQitemZ270321519429QQcmdZViewItemQQptZNails_Screws_Fasteners?hash=item270321519429&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I have used Magnets as catches, on small boxes. Especially with Tykes who have difficulty with latches. Get some 1/4" rare earth magnets, use a forrestner bit and inset the thickness of the magnet, in the edge of the lid, make a matching hole on the box edge. epoxy the magnets in the holes but be sure that they are oriented N + S so that they attract not repell.

I find that if you place the magnets on the sides they hold as well but are easier to open than if you place them along the front edge.

Bill has a great point. I've found the best way to insure the correct orientation is allow 2 magnets to snap together. A very small drop of thick CA will hold the bottom one in. After it sets, slide the top one off and glue it in the same position in the top hole. Shazam!!!! your mags' are snappin' your lid shut.
I use this on salt boxes all the time and have yet to have it fail. Good luck and post it when done! :wave:

Last edited: